SOLVED bsod on windows 7 oem - NETw5s64.sys

Reaction score
Keep getting it every hour now. Reformatted and restart in safe mode still not working. It happens anytime, watching mpegs, using IE8, copying stuff etc.

Hardware
Asus F83VR 14 inch display
Windows 7 x64 OEM from ASUStek.
Hardware is 1 year old.
OS installation - last reformatted 1 day ago.
CPU - C2D p8800 2.66ghz
VGA - Nivdia Geforce GT 220M
Motherboard - Asustek
PowerSupply - AC bat wt adaptor 230 v (Asia)

BSOD every 30 mins now, no particular thingy does it, the dump always says NETw5s64.sys which is the wifi link driver.

- did ram memory diagnostics test during start up RAM is ok, HDD fine also.

Previously running NIS 2011 now running AVG IS & advanced systemcare pro. Also normally running Photoshop, Autocad, utorrent, IE, COretemp, HD TUne, media player. Laptop has crash before with or without these programs.
This is the STOP dump message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Infomation:
*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF880056DBC8B)
*** NETw5s64.sys - Adress FFFFF880056DBC8B base at FFFFF880056CC000, DateStamp 4aafedb7
Technical Infomation:
*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF88003EAAC8B)
*** NETw5s64.sys - Adress FFFFF88003EAAC8B base at FFFFF88003E9B000, DateStamp 4aafedb7
Technical Infomation:
*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF88005676C8B)
*** NETw5s64.sys - Adress FFFFF88005676C8B base at FFFFF88005667000, DateStamp 4aafedb7

Reaction score
Go to AVG's website and download there uninstaller. Uninstall AVG in Safe Mode. Replace AVG with Microsoft Security Essentials. Also go to the manufacturer of your pc's website and download any updates they have for your drivers. Also, make sure that Windows, Java, Flash and any software you use is updated. If you can't find any of what I mentioned just search Gogle, Bing or Yahoo for it.

Reaction score
Reaction score
The AVG get rid of. I've been a member of this forum for over a year now. Other than outdated drivers for hardware AVG has been the #1 cause for BSOD's. ditch it and install Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes free. After installing Malwarebytes, let it update itself and boot into Safe Mode by constantly pressing F8 key during boot up. Select Safe Mode and runa Full Scan with Malwarebytes and remove anything it finds.If you get nay BSOD's after that then you'll have tohunt down drivers for your hardware as they're probably outdated. Go to you pc makers support site, Realtek, Intel, AMD,etc.. for those.

Reaction score
I have too agree AVG has been the cause of lot BSODs with WIN 7

Reaction score
I have too agree AVG has been the cause of lot BSODs with WIN 7
Spot on. :)

AVG will likely work fine if you have all other drivers up-to-date and no other security systems installed and running alongside. :)

Reaction score
Go to AVG's website and download there uninstaller. Uninstall AVG in Safe Mode. Replace AVG with Microsoft Security Essentials. Also go to the manufacturer of your pc's website and download any updates they have for your drivers. Also, make sure that Windows, Java, Flash and any software you use is updated. If you can't find any of what I mentioned just search Gogle, Bing or Yahoo for it.
I've uninstalled AVG is used miscosoft essentials on my laptop now, i'm not gettting any bsod recently which is a good thing.

There are constant windows and java updates that my computer downloads and alert me and I usually install them when I can.

The crash dumps blame Netw5s64.sys which is Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter.

Use Intel Driver Update Utility to find the updates for you:

http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm

Use either AVG <-> OR <-> Advanced Systemcare Pro, but if crashes persist then uninstall both and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Then if you get more crashes, attach the crash dumps from C:\Windows\Minidump.
I've uninstalled AVG and using MSE & Advancedsystem care Professional for deep scanning the registry and malware etc. Is it true that most registry scanners are not good because they sometimes wrongly identify and remove certain system files that are essential to windows?

The update utility on the intel website found 5 drivers but only identified the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF) amongst them. The rest they mentioned 'This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates'.

I also tried downloading the Intel Wifi Utility exe and ran it but it did not detect my wireless adaptor.

Another minor issue I had with my bsod is there is a short sound error everything min or so, it could be caused my the wireless driver but I'm just guessing.

I know this is a Windows 7 Help forum, however I would like to ask about a very recent problem regarding my Asus laptop computer - yesterday I found out my keypad is not working properly! About half my keys are not working, and some alphabet keys are typing numbers as well! For etc, typing 'U' comes out as 4, and 'O' comes out as 6 etc. I'm using a external USB keyboard to work now.

I have tried uninstalling the keyboard driver and rebooting, took out the AC power and batt and hold the ON button to reset the motherboard - did not help. I entered the bios in startup but cannot find anything related to the keypad. Before I attempt reformat my laptop soon, are there any solutions to this?
I'm using a 1 year old Asus F83VF laptop, C2D P8800, GT 220M, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM DDR3 and windows 7 Prem oem.

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor as far as Jave and Flash Player goes. Go to Secunia's website and download Secunia PSI 2.0 (Personal Software Inspector). www.secunia.xom . Download it , install it and let it run at startup. Run a scan with it daily, as it'll find unpatched software and provide download links for the updates.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Secunia is an excellent program to use. It alerted me to a couple of Adobe Flash updates (IE & non-IE) that I needed. My score prior to that was 98%, now it's 100%.

Some may not care for it, but it does remind you if something needs updating. But always keep in mind that no program is perfect every time, even Secunia can miss something.

As far as the cleaners goes, I've been using CCleaner for quite a while, and it's registry cleaner is probably the safest around. It does give you the option to back up the registry before cleaning, and I highly suggest it.

MSE is fine, but having a couple of extra scanners would be a good idea. Malwarebytes (free) is good. But the best stand alone scanner that I know of is the ESET Online Scanner. It's found several things that MSE & MBAM didn't.

It can be found at:

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

It runs best from IE, where you can set any extra options that you want. If you run it from an alternate browser, such as Firefox, you won't get these options, only a small download, and you run it "as is".

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
stockjordan said:
I've uninstalled AVG and using MSE & Advancedsystem care Professional for deep scanning the registry and malware etc.
Great, should blue screens pop up again - uninstall Advancedsystem care Professional. :)

Reaction score
Personally, I'd use Ccleaner and TuneUp Utilities instead of Advancedsystem Care. I had problems with the free version of that software messing up my old Vista pc. 7 uses the same code as Vista. 7 actually is Vista done right.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had problems with Advanced Systems Care. It crippled my XP notebook a couple of years ago, to the point of needing to reinstall. At the time, I hadn't bothered to learn to backup, and was burned by it.

Secondly, I don't trust IObit software at all. It's been a while back, but it was posted on this very forum of how they stole MBAM's program to create their own (IObit 360), with plenty of proof of it.

CCleaner pretty much does what I need, as far as registry cleaning, and file cleaning goes. There are a few other useful tools, too.

Cat

Reaction score
Hey Cat I just found a add on for Ccleaner that gives it more cleaning options. It's called CCleaner Enhancement. Get it at http://bit.ly/hngyWu
I had problems with Advanced Systems Care. It crippled my XP notebook a couple of years ago, to the point of needing to reinstall. At the time, I hadn't bothered to learn to backup, and was burned by it.

Secondly, I don't trust IObit software at all. It's been a while back, but it was posted on this very forum of how they stole MBAM's program to create their own (IObit 360), with plenty of proof of it.

CCleaner pretty much does what I need, as far as registry cleaning, and file cleaning goes. There are a few other useful tools, too.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've seen that option to add to CCleaner before, but declined it. If these "extras" were added, then the very safe CCleaner that we've known for years may not be so safe.

What I'm using works for me, I don't want an aggressive cleaner to screw up my computer. In the past, I have used a few of them, and for the most part, caused more problems than they fixed.

And just because a product has a "Microsoft Gold Partner" symbol on their ad, that really means nothing. Anyone can be a "partner", provided they pay MS for the option. I've received emails from MS myself, inviting me to be a partner, but I don't have to cash to throw away for it.

Cat

Reaction score
So how's Stockjordan doing at the moment, all is good I presume?
Apologies for the late I've not checked this thread for a while.

The BSOD is fortunately under control. The intel 1000 driver is unchanged/updated. I followed the instructions form this link - http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=915

My keyboard is not working properly though even after reformating the hdd. Got any ideas for me? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My keyboard is not working properly though even after reformating the hdd. Got any ideas for me? Thanks.
I have moved the new keyboard issue to its' own thread HERE because your initial issue was resolved.

Ask a Question