BSOD error - system service exception

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you please help with this BSOD error?

The crash dumps are in the BSOD.zip upload and 1 + 2 are screenshots of the error notification.

Thanks
Jared

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most of them indicate a power issue. Make sure your memory is correct for your motherboard and set to the proper timings and voltages. If you built this machine yourself then I suggest you run Memtest86+ for 6-10 passes to stress test the RAM.

Also, make sure your power supply (PSU) is rated powerful enough for your machine. What graphics card(s) do you have installed as they often require bigger power supplies. Does this happen playing graphic intensive games?

Another possibility is that something is being put to sleep/into hibernation that really shouldn't be allowed to power down. Does this seem to happen when the machine is going to sleep or waking up?

Reaction score
How would I set the motherboard to the proper timings and voltages?

I ran Memtest86+ over last night for 7+ passes and there were no errors. I have a GTX 770 - which is a new large graphics card and I occasionally play graphics intensive games - but only once ( i believe) has my computer blue screened and reset from it

That last issue sounds like it's exactly it - I've kept a half thorough log of the BSOD errors and almost all have happened (12+ times) after trying to wake the computer up from being in sleep. Is there a way for you to tell what shouldn't be powered down that currently is being powered down?

I didn't build the rig myself, but I had a custom computer company do it (http://www.mm-vision.dk/) - and here's a build similar to my rig on their website - I was concerned about the PSU. When I am back in my apartment I will check how big the PSU is, but again I think your last point is most insightful.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If somebody built it for you they should have made sure it had RAM that was correct for the board and also set the timings/voltage but use CPU-Z again and this time screen capture the Memory Tab plus the SPD tab for each memory slot. The one shows your system settings and the other shows what each RAM stick expects.

A good Memtest86+ is not a guarantee your RAM is correct but a bad one is good indication of a problem, still, other than checking the settings it is less likely the issue and I would keep looking.

For a single GTX770 the recommendation is a 600 Watt power supply so just see what you have.

So if the issue is sleep/hibernation then there are a few things to try:

Number one, ACPI changes (which control sleep/hibernate), were a common update to motherboards when W7 was released so, check your motherboards homepage and make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Second in control panel > Power Options. Choose change plan settings next to the option which is selected. On the next screen choose Change Advanced Power Settings. Under Hard Disk you can set it to turn off 0 minutes (Never). And under sleep, under Allow Hybrid sleep, set that to Off. There are others here besides Hybrid which you could try but Hybrid had the most complaints when W7 first came out so it's where I would start. Save these settings and see how things go.

The third thing you can look at is control panel > Device Manager. In device manager you can select individual components and if the power can be controlled you will see a Power Management tab for the component. This is more likely a solution when a device doesn't work after waking from sleep but I suppose it could involve BSODs too. The most common one is that people cannot connect to the internet after their computer sleeps - in that case if they set their Network Adapter Power option to never sleep it usually fixes the problem. You could try that but I think this is less likely your issue.

Reaction score
My Motherboard is a Gibabyte GA-B85M-D3H and I haven't changed any of the BIOS settings before. Just updated the BIOS. Here are the requested screenshots. Is it potentially problematic that they put the memory stick in the 2nd slot instead of the 1st?

Here's a screenshot of my PSU as well (Raidmax RX-700AC 700W Bronze 80 certified) - I assume that's sufficient, even with the "low" efficiency?
I implemented the Power options you suggested, except that I didn't have a hybrid sleep option under Advanced Power Settings>Sleep. (screenshot). I'll try the network adapter option if I get another BSOD.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it! You mentioned that there were some other errors in the dump files...anything I should be concerned about/try to fix?

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is a BIOS from January of this year, is that the BIOS you are currently running?

A 700W certified PSU should be fine, bronze certified PSUs are meant to be very good quality.

And your RAM settings seem about right also and you are set at the correct 1.5V voltage.

I see you don't have a hybrid option or a hibernate, but you can only adjust the ones you have. Still, try the setting "to not let the hard drive sleep" and see if that helps any.

Your video card driver is from December. It looks to me like there is an update to the NVidia drivers today Mar 10th. With such a new powerful video card like you have I would go ahead and update that driver, although I do not see anything in the DMPs pin-pointing that as a problem.

As for the DMPs, I offered all my ideas; I'm not an expert so maybe someone else will come along with more suggestions. BSOD debugging can often be a bit of trial and error so, post back if you get new BSODs.

Reaction score
Well so far so good (I put the computer in sleep a couple times and intentionally woke it up to try to mimick the error - it only happened sporadically to begin with) so at the minor risk of jinxing myself, I'll click the top button saying you've fixed the issue!

Thanks again for your help!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sounds Good. You can always change it back and post more DMPs if it happens again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nothing really stands out to me so I will ask Shintaro to take a look; he is our resident BSOD expert.

Meanwhile, could you make sure your Avast! is up-to-date and then run a complete scan.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Could you please follow the instructions below and enable Driver Verifier.

Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
  1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select:
    ---- Special Pool
    ---- Pool Tracking
    ---- Force IRQL Checking
    ----Deadlock Detection
    ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
    ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
    ---- Miscellaneous Checks

5. Click "Next"
  6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

I can't get in to Windows, what do I do?

- If Windows will not start and get to a login screen or desktop, because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.

- If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

How do I put the crash dump files in a Zip file?

Instructions on putting files in a Zip file and extracting (Taking them out) again are explained HERE.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I have done everything listed, but it did not crash upon the restart. Waiting the 36 hours.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, when it does crash please put the crash files in a zip file and upload them to the forum.

Reaction score
No crash yet. So good in that sense, but nothing to deliver yet.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok mate,
Well keep us informed on how your computer is going.

Reaction score
Left driver verification on since April 30, had my first crash today as I was starting up the computer for the first time. Here's the minidump

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Sorry for the delay, please uninstall Avast! and use the built in Windows Defender. Please make sure you update Windows Defender.

Reaction score
Hi Shintaro,

No problem w.r.t. the delay.

Any suggestions for a free antivirus replacement (avira, MSE, ...)? I already have windows defender (only antispyware w/ windows 7 tho...correct?), updated & I scan with it occasionally. Could the two be interfering with each other?

Ask a Question