bsod auto restart option

Reaction score
im getting a bsod every few days.
when i try to un-tick the auto restart it un-ticks but when i go back in to check its ticked again.
the value does not save so i keep auto restarting.

is there another way around this issue ie: regkey i can manualy change?

Thx

Reaction score
This may or may not help you. Do you use and utilities or tweak utilities like System Mechanice, Tuneup Utilities or any of the various utilities for tweaking Windows 7 ? If you do, open each one and check they're various settings. It's quite possible that one is got your pc set to automatically restart on bsod's. Here's also another one that isn't mentioned for ssd users. Iolo System Mechanic takes longer to boot into Safe Mode than regular mode in Windows if you have a ssd.Also update your antivirus/antispyware software and run a full scan with each in safe mode, by pressing F8 key during startup and selecting safe moding and hitting enter on your keyboard. Try these 2 programs if you don't have them already Malwarebytes Anti-Malware http://www.malwarebytes.org and SUPERAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com . For both choose the free versions, install both and let them update themselves and boot into safe mode and run scans with them. If they find any infections let them remove it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thx for the reply.

i use advanced system care pro. i been throught the options and i can not find any option to do with bsod or related to it.

Reaction score
OK, download Malwarebytes & SUPERAntiSpyware and run full scans with both in Safe Mode. Let both remove anything they find.

Reaction score
done.
apart from tracking cookies my system is clean.
still can not keep auto restart un-checked.

any other ideas ?

Reaction score
Tracking cookies are enough to cause issue, as they're technically a form of malware. Try this, download HijackThis! 2.04 from http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/ . Install it and right-click on it and click on Run As Administrator.Do a system scan and save a log file. Notepad will open up with the logfile after it runs. Right-click and highlight everything in the logfile by dragging your mouse down the page until all text is blue and right-click again and click copy. Now go to this web adress http://hijackthis.de/en and right-click below where it says You can paste a logfile in this textbox and click on Analyze. Scroll down the list and look for any red X's. In HijackThis!2.04 put a check mark next to any of the lines that have the red X at that website and click on Fix checked, then restart your pc. HijackThis can remove left over remnants of malware. Also after that open Computer, right-click on C: ,click Properties, Tools, in the top box that says Error Checking click on Check Now, put a check mark next to both items in the window that pops up, click Start and in the next popup box click on something like run at next startup on the left and restart your pc. After your pc restarts click the start button and type cmd in the search box at bottom, right-click on Command Prompt at the top , click Run As Administrator, type in sfc /scannow and hit enter. That last one will search & repair any missing Windows 7 files.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Contrary to other advice, tracking cookies SHOULD NOT and usually WILL NOT cause a BSOD! Checking other forums, especially AV forums, this statement holds true.

If you're using two antivirus or anti-spyware programs together, sometimes that will cause a BSOD.

Have you checked the timings and settings on the RAM? Do they match the settings recommended for the particular brand and type you're using?

Is your RAM and all other PCI cards and video card properly seated and fully locked down?

Is your power supply adequate for the hardware you're using?

Are all your drivers up to date and correctly installed?

Have you tried running CCleaner first and then use the "Registry Cleaner" option in CCleaner also? Many times that WILL fix some BSOD issues.

Give us some more info and also fill in your "Computer Specs" section under your avatar on the left. Go into your "User CP" menu tab at the top of the forum page and do it from there. The more information you are able to give us, the better we may be able to help you out.

Reaction score
updated my details.
its not the bsod i need help with.
i need to be able to disable the auto restart when i have a bsod.
once i have the bsod i can go from there.

its a windows settings problem not hardware i need help with.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thank you for updating your computer specs.

What windows settings are you talking about?

Reaction score
in advanced system properties theres a tick box to enable / disable automatic restart when a bsod happens.

my seetin is enabled so hen i do get a bsod i can not view what the error is

Ask a Question