Browsing Network from 32bit app in 64bit os

Reaction score
When I open any 32 bit application in Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and try to open a file via File>Open and clilck on "Network", I only see a partial list of computers. When I browse the same way in any 64bit apps or Explorer I get a full list of computers and servers.

I know that using a UNC in the open dialog will get me to the server if know the name but many of my users don't know the name of the server they are trying to browse to.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Thory. :)

I've not experienced this problem myself and can browse all my x64 PCs from my 32 bit laptop. I can't think why this problem could happen, just masked by this difference in bit version. Does this happen from any and all 32 bit software?

Reaction score
Clarification

Ian,
Thanks for your quick reply...
This is not an issue of x86 systems not able to see x64 systems, but rather running x86 apps on a x64 system not able to browse the network from within the software. For example:
If I were to open Word 2007 then click on the office button then Open and then click on Network , I only see ~60 of the 450 computers and servers that are on our network. If i were to open Explorer and click on Network I see all 450 computers and servers.

Does this make sense?

Ask a Question