Bright Green Screen and now it won't boot

Reaction score
Hi there,

So here is a mysterious problem I cannot figure out, for now I won't post the dump logs unless someone might be able to help me.

System Specs:

PS: 450 W 18A on 12V rail
MB: AsRock Conroe 1333-D667 R1.0
CPU: Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz
Mem: 2 GB DDR2 266 MHz
Video Card: Was Asus EN8500GT Silent 512 MB PCI-E 16x, now BFG 9500 GT 1 GB PCI-E 16x

I was using my computer, left for the washroom, came back and there was nothing but a bright green screen, shut it off, turned it back on, now no video after Windows Vista boot screen and will BSOD 3 or 4 minutes later. I can still boot in safe mode, and when I remove the driver it boots normally with no hardware video but still through the card. If I switch to onboard video it works fine, full graphics and full resolution. Tried wiping system, upgraded to Windows 7, had the same problem, installation was fine, onboard video worked, as soon as Windows installed the nVidia driver, from MS Update or nVidia website, it would go to a black screen and nothing else. So I bought a 9500GT and tried it, wiped and reloaded fresh install of Windows 7 again, took the entire system apart to rebuilt, blew out all dust, checked all cables. It booted into windows on board full graphics, booted into safe mode through the video card, but in normal mode it booted fine, but this time when the graphics card driver was installed, instead of just black screen or BSOD it boots fine, and as soon as I click anything, even start menu, it flickers a bunch of times, and then I get a pop-up in task bar, "NVIDIA Windows Device Driver has failed, and has successfully recovered", and every time I click anything it does it again. I've tried different versions of the NVIDIA driver, back to 181.08 and right up to the new one, and all of them cause the same problem, if I get a BSOD the error is on the "nvlddmkm.sys" file, which I've tried going through guides to patch that file with no success.

To sum it up, neither card works now, the 8500 GT wont show video after boot screen vista or 7 unless in safe mode or no driver installed, 9500 GT will boot, but video driver crashes every time i click something works fine in both OS and safe mode. Onboard video works fine both OS's normally, and there isnt a single graphical error.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. I am stuck and running out of ideas! If you need any more information I will try to post as quickly as possible. I'm in university with no money and little free time :).

Thanks in advance!

Drew

Reaction score
Forgot to add, I took 8500 GT and tried in a different computer, it wouldn't work. Took the 9500 GT and it ran perfectly in another computer, its a brand new card.

Thanks!!! :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out!

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forum website, baldock.drew1!

Reaction score
Oops sorry if that sounded like I figured it out... The 8500 GT didn't work in another computer, but the 9500 GT did, but neither work in the computer I'm trying to fix right now.

Sorry for the confusion, any advice is still extremely appreciated!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
So is this a new build? An old build with a new install of Windows 7?

How old is the motherboard? Asrock is the motherboard maker. What is the model of motherboard? You listed the CPU build (Conroe) and RAM specs on the mobo description.

Do you have the video card option in the BIOS selected to boot from the card first?

Reaction score
It sounds like a power supply or RAM issue to me.

Reaction score
So is this a new build? An old build with a new install of Windows 7?
How old is the motherboard? Asrock is the motherboard maker. What is the model of motherboard? You listed the CPU build (Conroe) and RAM specs on the mobo description.

Do you have the video card option in the BIOS selected to boot from the card first?
Ok to update the situation, got both Windows 7 and Windows Vista to work, but as soon as I try to switch to run Windows Aero it glitches out and I get that NVIDIA Device driver has crashed and successfully recovered. Its an old build got the green screen one day when I looked over, everything has gone downhill from there. Just changed the video card to see if it was the problem, 8500GT won't produce any output, Aero or not, and the 9500GT will produce non-Aero graphics perfectly, but as soon as its switched to Aero theme the 9500 GT crashes and reloads.

Motherboard model is actually AsRock 1333-D667 R1.0 on their site. PCI-E is set as primary video.

Both the 8500 GT and 9500 GT are on both the 7 and Vista HCLs and so are the rest of my parts.

Last edited:

Ask a Question