Bootmgr missing

Reaction score
When booting up windows 7 RC 64bit I get the message "bootmgr missing" "press ctrl + alt +delete to restart". The odd thing is if I have the boot cd inserted it boots fine, but without it it gives this error. I have used the boot repair tools found on the boot, and tried varieing the boot order in the BIOS. Also I have manually tried to fix it using the command line on the boot disc.
As I have two hard drives I tried removing my secondary data hard drive, but then when trying to repair it using the boot disc it cannot find my windows installation. Can anyone offer any advice?

cheers
massec

Reaction score
Yes this problem mainly occurs due to either of the two following errors.

1. The Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry is not present in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store.
  2. The Boot\BCD file on the active partition is damaged or missing.
You can check it out by the CMD prompt. Just navigate to rootdirectory\Boot directory and look for the BCD(Boot Configutation Data) file using the command prompt in Windows 7 and look if BCD file is present or corrupted. For resolution follow the steps in the link given below.

Visit this official Microsoft link to resolve this problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us

Reaction score
None of those fixes worker, though I did find out that my secondary drive(F: in windows) is apparently C: in boot manager and my main drive (C: in windows) is D: in boot manager.

Whats more now I cannot boot normally while the setup disc is inserted, as the boot mgr cannot find any windows installations.

edit: When booting up the setup disc again and entering repair it said windows had found an error with startup and these errors were for the boot mgr for D: ( my main drive) so I clicked repair and restart and now I can bootup only when the startup disc is any again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
hey i got this sgit here too after i have upgated me comp with replacing shitty memmory modules with the new once

uhm , i went tru a win repairy and its got working , just the same way . a boot cd in a cd rom drive , boot from cd , repair ( it took a few attemps to reapai even windows recognized wot kind of errror appered )

Reaction score
That was the first thing I tried after I found out the drive letters were switched round, at the "ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old" step I get "windows cannot find specified file". Are you saying startuprepair fixed this for you because it won't for me.

The boot files are all on my secondary drive.How can I move them to the proper drive or get it to boot properly?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the update massec, I'm glad it's working for you now :)

Ask a Question