SOLVED Boot manager with XP

Reaction score
Hi guys

I use to have (or actually still does) windows xp installed on a separate hard drive and windows 7 home premium on a different hard drive. The XP hard drive was the drive the boot records were written to. My windows 7 drive was one I added later and I decided to keep it dual booted in case I have compatibility issues with some of my programs running windows 7.
However... I have not been using XP for quite a while now. I want to be the drive W7 is installed on to be my primary drive and the one xp is installed on to be my secondary drive. Currently it is just the other way around. When I reconnect my hard drives so W7 is now on sata1 and xp on sata2 connectors on my motherboard and the W7 drive is now set set to be the one to boot from - it obviously does not boot. Now I expected this to happen but I have no idea how to create a new mbr in W7.
I played around with the bcdedit and bootsect commands but it does not want to work. The moment I set my W7 hard drive to be the primary boot device in my pc's bios and then boot from the w7 to create a new mbr - it does not even detect that I allready have W7 installed on the main drive.

Oh yes, I would like to do this without re-installing.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks

I found a post from Nibiru2012and applied his resolution to my problem - it actually worked.
Yeahyyyy

I just have to edit the xp option somehow now out of the boot record. XP was easy - I just edited the boot.ini and removed the relevant line but this one seem to be bit more trickier

Ask a Question