Bluetooth device not appearing

Reaction score
I have always used bluetooth to transfer files between my phone and my pc, and recently I have purchased a bluetooth adapter to pull trouble codes from my car.
The problem is my pc & phone & adapter are all what I would call a passive connection. With xp my pc would be a "active" connection, meaning it would look for and request a pair, and a connection with any other device. However with 7, it will look for and request a pair with a device, but will not request a connection.
If it was just my phone it would not be that big a deal, as I can use a cable (but I prefer bt), but the only way to connect to the car adapter is if the computer request a connection.

Originally I could see the adapter in Devices&printers, but that was all. But after downloading a new bt driver the bt on the pc has completely quit.

So does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this the same issue as you solved thread or is this something different? Are you all set here too?

Reaction score
No this is a different problem, they are related but they are two separate issues.

Timeline: BT disappeared from D&P folder, then D&P folder disappeared, then fixed that problem. Now the BT dongle is showing, however at one time I could click on it and see the BT devices around the computer. Now, all the pc shows is the dongle, and the other devices can not see the pc.

I need the pc to request a connection with a couple of devices (I know this should be possible).
I have tried a different dongle, with no change, so somehow a setting has been changed. With XP I just knew where to look, but 7 is set up different and I just haven't figured it out

Imagine a phone that can not call out, only receive calls, that is my pc BT. I need pc to "dial out" and request a connection with other devices, instead of just responding to request sent to it. I don't know if I need a different type of hardware, or different software to accomplish this.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Right-click on the adapter in devices & printers ... choose bluetooth settings ... options tab.
BluetoothSettings.jpg
Set those check boxes as needed.

Note: If you set that last one "show bluetooth icon in the notification area" then you can use that icon to quickly add a device, allow a device, see devices, send a file, or receive a file.
BluetoothIcon.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question