Black Screen w/ Cursor and Watermark in Right Hand Corner

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've searched around for several weeks for a solution to this problem and have not yet found a solution that works for me... Here are some details...

I am running Windows 7 RC (Build 7100) on an extremely capable PC, but now, every time I start the machine up I get a completely black screen with cursor, and in the bottom right hand corner is the watermark,
"Windows 7100
This copy of Windows is not genuine."
I believe I know what caused this. When I first got the RC, I downloaded one of those patches that removes the watermark (Yes, I know I was stupid and shouldn't have :( ) and for awhile, everything worked fine. Then I found the above watermark sitting regularly on my desktop, as well as some "This copy of windows not genuine" Pop-ups from MS, so I clicked on resolve, and the MS website just said something to the tune of "This Windows OS is not yet supported" or something like that. So I didn't pursue the problem any further. Now, every once in a blue moon it will let me access the desktop. When it does, everything is extremely slow, I can't use command prompt, and when I open control panel to look at my CD Key or to check that it is activated, in the spot where my CD Key should be, instead there is just this: ---

Sooo, I need to know how to re-activate Windows so I can actually use the computer again. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I can give any information you guys need. I really hope I can get this resolved soon, it has just been such a hassle. Thanks guys!

Stephen

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
How about reinstalling the RC? It's not like at some point you were not going to do this anyway once you get the RTM. ;)

Reaction score
How about reinstalling the RC? It's not like at some point you were not going to do this anyway once you get the RTM. ;)
True, I could do this, but is there anyway to do that without wiping the hard drive? Because if there isn't, I want to try all the other solutions I can find first, because I don't see a way of transferring my data to a different hard drive, though if there is, I would be happy to learn of it....

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could use a Linux Live CD to boot into your PC and transfer your data to a USB drive or another partition.
Or, I wonder if the Repair Windows option would work by booting the W7 DVD? Worth a look, anyway.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, the Linux Live CD would be a good way to get your data off the machine. UbuntuLive is a good start:

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

I'd be interested to know if the repair install does fix the problem, so if you try that first please do report back :).

Reaction score
Yep, the Linux Live CD would be a good way to get your data off the machine. UbuntuLive is a good start:

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

I'd be interested to know if the repair install does fix the problem, so if you try that first please do report back :).
Oops, sorry, I meant to mention that I already tried the repair install... It didn't detect any problems. If no one has any ideas of what I could do without re-installing Win7, I will get my data off tomorrow and do a fresh install. I already have a Ubuntu 8.04 CD, but I don't know if it is a Live CD or not. If my memory serves me right, it is, so I will give it a shot tomorrow should no new ideas arise. Thanks for your help, guys!

Ask a Question