Black Screen and Blinking Cursor

Reaction score
My home PC has a black screen and blinking cursor, I am unable to get to safe mode or any other mode. Windows 7 Home Premium for about 7 mos now.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've renamed this thread and moved it to the support forum, I'm not sure this really belonged in the "News" section ;)

Does the normal BIOS screen flash up when your turn your PC on, or does the cursor problem happen right away?

Do you have the Windows 7 install DVD? It would be worth booting from it and performing a startup repair to see if that can detect the problem. There is a guide on this here:

https://www.w7forums.com/startup-repair-t441.html

This problem could be due to many issues (even things like a graphics card failure), but the above step is worth a try as it would be able to solve the most common errors, assuming it is OS related.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sure you havn't left a DVD sitting in the drive, or perhaps changed your boot sequence to a non-bootable faciulity?

Ask a Question