Black login screen, only a cursor Windows 7 x64

Reaction score
I had a memory crash issue that would cold boot my computer constantly. I've sinced fixed this said issue (had to adjust timing to 8-8-8-21) and have run memtest86+ for over 12 hours without any errors (I was getting hundreds of errors before within1 hour). So now that this is cleared up of course something is wrong with my OS.

I'm running Windows 7 x64. So now the login screen is black only with a cursor, the at ease panel, windows 7 pro logo (center bottom) and the shutdown red button in it's normal position. Although the at ease button and shutdown button don't display anything when clicked they do work, example: I can shutdown using the shutdown button. The same thing happens for safe-mode.

During the cold boot phase my external drive kept rebooting with the computer and somehow I think this messed something up. The only thing that makes me think it's the external hard drive is that when I try to do a restore point it says there are none available. And trust me I've made plenty. So when I notice there were none available I checked which drive it was looking at and it's the E: drive (which was the letter of the external hard drive when my computer was working).

Has anyone run into this issue? I'm not sure why the restore point function is looking at the external drive for the old restore points instead of my C: drive? Is there a command I can run to fix this issue since I can get into the "Repair computer" portion of the boot up? I can try to put in the windows disc and run the install again and try to repair the computer from there (clear out all the windows files) but that just makes me nervous. I also really don't want to do a fresh clean install everything and lose my stuff. Even though I have everything backed up it's just a pain.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it now has something to do witht he "boot" file location. Does anyone know how to use the BCDedit command for Windows 7? I think it's trying to boot from E: but the system info is stored on C: I'll have more updates when I get home tonight and see for sure if this is the case.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You might try putting in your install disc and try the "Start-up Repair" option when rebooting the system.

Set your DVD drive to be the first drive to boot-up, put in the install disc and follow the prompts from there.

Reaction score
- If theres a problem with bootRecord do this :
1.Boot from Windows 7 installation disc.
2.Select Language and Next.
3.Choose "Repair Your Computer".
4.Choose the problem windows, and click Next.
5.Now, choose "Command Prompt".
6.When the command prompt window is opened, type "bootsect /nt60 ALL /mbr" to reinstall all boot records or "bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr" just the C:\ partition .This will update the mbr of the hd.
7.When done, restart the computer

Reaction score
Fiton:

I'm noticing that it states that "Operating System: Windows 7 on E: Local Disk ". My windows 7 IS NOT installed on E: but it's installed on C: So to make myself clear C: was the main SATA drive used that I installed Windows 7 on originally.

When I run /bcdedit the following pops up:

Windows Boot Manager
Identifier: {bootmgr}
device: partition=C:
description: Windows boot manager
locale: en-US
inherit: {global settings}
default: {default}
resumeobject: {c767c984-c249-11de-8b9d-c7ee4708438f}
displayorder: {default}
toolsdiplayer: {default}
timeout: 30

Windows Boot Loader
Identifier: {default}
device: partition=E:
path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description: Windows 7
locale: en-US
inherit: {bootloadersettings}
recoveryseq: {c767c984-c249-11de-8b9d-c7ee4708438f}
recoveryenab: Yes
osdevice: partition=E:
systemroot: \Windows
resumeobject: {c767c984-c249-11de-8b9d-c7ee4708438f}
nx: Optin

Is this setup correctly? Please help.

I ran Diskpart, lis vol and the following comes up as well:

Volume#/Ltr/Label/Fs/Type/Size/Status
Volume 0/F/DVD_ROM/UDF/DVD-ROM/3094MB/Healthy
Volume 1/C/System Rese/NFTS/Partition/100MB/Healthy
Volume 2/E/blank/NFTS/Partition/465GB/Healthy
Volume 3/D/Tera/NFTS/Partition/931GB/Healthy

I don't understand but my D: drive is my 1tb hard drive? When windows was working it was drive letter E:

It still is looking at E: when trying to find system restore points; I know it used to pull the system restore points from the C: drive though. Shouldn't it be looking at C:? Is this the reason why it can't boot up? I can get to the login screen but it's completely black. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
- Im understanding that C:\ is your Windows Location .
Type this in Command Prompt: "bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr" , without "" .
It might Fix . -

Ask a Question