SOLVED best OS for an i7-950??

Reaction score
which OS is best for an i7-950? a 64-bit or a 32-bit OS? can you also provide the pros and cons of using one over the other. my last OS was a 64-bit win7 ultimate and i had a lot of compatibility issues concerning drivers for older hardware and so as running older applications. thanks!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would use the Windows 7 X64 version if it was me. Posting the rest of your computer's hardware specs will help too.

Reaction score
actually i am just about to build a new rig. here are the specs. i can also use comments/suggestions/recommendations for the specs. thanks!! [MoBo] MSI X58 Pro-E [CPU] Intel Core i7-950 3.0G [GPU] MSI HD6870 [RAM] Corsair 4GB XMS3 1333 ddr3 (2gb x 2) [HDD] 1.0TB Seagate Barracuda SATA [PSU] FSP Everest 800W [ODD] Asus 24B1ST 24x Sata [Casing] Antec 300 [Others] D-Link DWA-525 Thermaltake Contac 29

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would say that the OS you decide to use has little to do with such a hi spec computer. Go for the best version you can afford. (Ultimate?)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Personally I recommend 64-bit unless there is a very good reason you must have 32. One, if you have 1GB RAM then go 32. Two, if you have software or hardware you absolutely cannot replace that requires 32-bit and you cannot run it in a virtual window.

You're definitely good on the first item, and in fact if you went 32-bit you would only be able to use 3.25GB of your 4GB RAM.

Personally I think W7 Ultimate is a waste of money unless you need multiple language support; I like Professional for the group policy editor and Virtual PC - XP mode but if you don't need that then you could be happy with Home Premium. As for OSes other than W7, I cannot help you there.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
With a system like that you should really go for 64-bit, otherwise you're wasting some of your RAM and CPU potential. I've got x64 running on a system that's a few years old and it's rock solid stable :).

Personally I think W7 Ultimate is a waste of money unless you need multiple language support; I like Professional for the group policy editor and Virtual PC - XP mode but if you don't need that then you could be happy with Home Premium. As for OSes other than W7, I cannot help you there.
Yep, I'll 2nd that - Pro/Home edition should do fine unless you really need some of the Ultimate version features. There's an overview of what features each version has on this page:

https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-home-premium-vs-professional-vs-ultimate-t1234.html

Ask a Question