Bad Move Grisoft

Reaction score
http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_AntiVirus_Free_Edition_d886.html

Please note that while we still gladly offer AVG for download, recently AVG Free Edition has been breaking peoples computers, including both of the editors at Majorgeeks. We had a lot of difficulty removing and repairing our machines and we like to think we know what we are doing. After 10+ years we had to find a new anti-virus. Their new model seems to be a poorer quality free edition with an attempt to upsell to the paid versions. This is something we can not stand by and watch without warning you. We have had numerous emails as well from people who needed their computer fixed after a botched installation of AVG Free Edition. Other companies continue to offer free protection and we suggest you try those instead. I am currently using Panda Cloud anti-virus but Avast and Avira offer good, free protection. You might consider one of these alternatives. You'll thank us later.

Reaction score
I use Avast now and so far am happy with it. Also, with my Comcast membershio I get free Norton Antivirus. That is good too.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've tried AVG on a VM for the hell of it recently, and it's no good at all for Windows 7, Vista, XP, whatever. It's been a piece of crap. Too, a few months ago, I cleaned my mom-in-law's PC that AVG was installed on for at least three years. What a mess to say the least. It took MSE & MBAM a couple of full scans to clean it.

Avast is a good AV, until a year ago, I ran it exclusively for about three years (mainly on XP/Win2K), with very few problems. Some false alarms, but I had the levels of security jacked up to the max.

Cat

Ask a Question