Backup

Reaction score
Everytime the Backup runs, I get this message:

"Windows backup failed while determining libraries location of one of the users included in the backup. Details: the device is not ready"

I have tried everything I can find to fix it. But I have just noticed the phrase "device not ready". What does that mean and how do I fix it?

Shintaro

Reaction score
We need more information about the device.
Are you backing up to tape or some other media?

Reaction score
I am trying to put the backup on an external Goflex drive that I got last year. It already has two backups created by the software (which I have not used since I got the current PC) on it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
OK, I'm not used to these types of drives as my backup experience is tape.

But some basic questions.......
How is it connected to the PC? USB? Ethernet(Network)?
Does the system see the drive?
Is there Seagate software involved? Does the Seagate software see the device?
Do you have the latest Seagate software & drivers for the drive?

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply...the Goflex is connected via USB. And it is recognized by the PC (Drive J to be exact). And the Seagate software (Memeo) does seem to recognize the drive. I am trying to avoind using the Memeo because it dragged my previous PC's performance down to zero (Dell 4600). Granted it was 10 years old so maybe it would not affect the new one (Dell 8300).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is your Goflex drive 2TB or more? If so W7 Backup does not support it because of the sector-size, you will need a different backup program or a smaller drive.

Reaction score
It is a 500G drive. I am wondering if I could just format the drive and that would solve it? I would much rather try this Windows Backup than the Memeo...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If there is nothing on it of value then sure, drop the partitions and then partition it as NTFS and format it.

Ask a Question