Backup & Restore hangs

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I am doing the backup & restore for the first time since installing win7, and it hangs at 59% complete. I am doing the back up on a HHD via USB port, any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This very same thing happened to me the first time that I tried to backup. It turned out to be one file out of place, and I had to reinstall my OS over it. Probably by now, you have a few programs on it, too. Have you attempted to backup through your DVD ROM? I don't know if it will make a difference or not, but if you happen to have some extra DVD's, it's worth a shot. One other thing, have you tried disabling your AV while attempting this? The suggestions that I'm giving you are trying to prevent you from doing a reinstall. Although I'm a fan of the Windows backup that comes with 7, you may want to try a third party one. Which one you choose is up to you, I've heard good things about Acronis, but haven't personally used it. I think Marcium Reflect has a free backup solution that will work with 7. You can try a different one and see what happens. What would be good to see is the files going by, and visually see what's hanging. Hope that my ideas are of some help to you, Kalario, and your issue is soon resolved.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks Catilley for your suggestions. I really do no want to reinstall win7, so I am going to try your suggestions.If these don't work then I'll go with Macrium Reflect which was suggested in another thread by Niribu.

Will keep you posted

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I did disable Avast and the backup finished running except for this error:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Kalario\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\edb00001.log. Error:(Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (0x80070017))

I believe it it fine. you think?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I did disable Avast and the backup finished running except for this error:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Kalario\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\edb00001.log. Error:(Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (0x80070017))

I believe it it fine. you think?
That's where your problem probably is, a single file holding up progress. Can you uninstall Mail, then reinstall it after your backup is complete? That would be far better than a total reinstall. You can reinstall the single program, or the entire Windows Live Suite, if you want. Your mail should still be retained on the site, but check and make sure before proceeding. You may even be able to back your mails on a thumb drive, if you have to.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I do not use Windows Mail, I only use Gmail ...!!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Then just uninstall the Windows Live suite.

Personally I find it to be obtrusive and redundant.

Reaction score
I am doing the backup & restore for the first time since installing win7, and it hangs at 59% complete. I am doing the back up on a HHD via USB port, any ideas why this is happening?
Kalario, just a thought you might look into.....
I've never had Avast so I don't know if this will apply, but Norton has a setting that is designed to protect itself from tampering. If you try and do a restore, Norton will prevent it, maybe even if it was shut down. You do the restore and then you get an error message that the restore failed.
Norton has an option to shut that self protection device off, and then you can do the restore with no problems.

Maybe Avast has a similar device? I'd check all of Avast's settings to be sure, and see if any of them sound like a self protection / anti tampering setting.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I do not use Windows Mail, I only use Gmail ...!!!
Do you use any of the Windows Live programs? If not, you can uninstall them all. I have them on my computer, too, but basically there's other programs that does most, if not all of the same tasks. And even if you used Hotmail (I do), you don't need the suite. Some people like using their Photo Gallery and Messenger. The only reason that I have it, it was offered as a download for being a Genuine Advantage customer, and I took it. It's wasting space on my disc, and I'm getting ready to remove it now. If you don't have any use for it, you may as well, too.:)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The only reason that I have it, it was offered as a download for being a Genuine Advantage customer, and I took it
Windows Live is available to anyone running Windows 7. It's a free download. You don't have to be a "Genuine Advantage" customer to get it.

http://download.live.com/

It's still a piece of bloatware in my humble opinion though. I refuse to use ANY software based email, at all. It's too prone to attack.

Accessing email through the browser is the safest, surest way.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score

Cheers

Kalario - long time no see! :)

It's probably because you're using the M$ backup program... it just really doesn't work all that well. None of the uber geeks I know use it at all.

You might consider a very fast, thorough system backup program called: Macrium Reflect. It's free too!

Plus you don't have screw around with the poor system backup application that M$ provides. It's too slow, cumbersome and uses WAY TOO many DVDs or whatever.

Macrium Reflect is VERY similar to Acronis True Image Home, but FREE! Plus it is VERY FAST on the system backup too. I've been testing it for about six weeks now and it does a very good job!

It backed up my entire C Drive in about 4 minutes total time! You can also do other tasks while it is backing up your system. That's about 18GB that was compressed to a 7.6GB backup image file! I did a system restore from the bootable CD feature and it worked great also, took about 9 minutes on that.

The fastest disk imaging software is now available as a free edition.

Absolutely free! No strings! The only free XP, Vista and Windows 7 compatible disk imaging software with BartPE and Linux based recovery options.

• Create a disk image whilst running Windows using Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS).
  • Image to Network, USB, FireWire drives and DVD.
  • Built in scheduler.
  • 32 bit and native 64 bit versions.
  • Industry leading compression levels and speed.
  • Linux based Rescue CD with Network access and full GUI. Only 6.5MB in size!
  • Built in CD/DVD packet writing engine. Supports packet writing to DVD DL media with Windows Vista.
  • HTML log files.
You can read more about it HERE.

You can download it from HERE.

Last edited:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Under Programs>Windows Live there is only two programs showing
>Windows Live Movie Maker
>Windows Live Photo Gallery

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Under Programs>Windows Live there is only two programs showing
>Windows Live Movie Maker
>Windows Live Photo Gallery
Just uninstall those two programs using the Programs section of the Control Panel and then use Macrium Reflect to do your backup.

Or, you can just leave them on the system, they won't interfere with the backup using Macrium Reflect.

Ask a Question