SOLVED Backup drive problems with USB 3.0

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been trying for a week to get the backup drive that I assembled to work on my USB 3.0 ports, but still am having troubles. It's not the ports, other accessories operates perfectly fine on them (external cooler, USB flash drives, my other backup drive connected with a BYTECC USB 3.0 to eSATA adapter).

This assembled drive consists of a WD Caviar Blue 320GB, 7200 rpm, HDD (the stock HDD that came with my desktop) installed within a Vantec NexStar CX SuperSpeed enclosure. The thing is, it's recognized when plugged into the USB 2.0 port on the notebook, and works perfectly fine.

But when I plug it into the USB 3.0 port, there's a constant sound of trying to connect/install, and in the Device Manager, it constantly shows & disappears during this time.

I've used Bing & Google in search of answers for the issue, and it appears that plenty of users has the same problem. But other than assigning a letter to it, and formatting it, which I tried both (the most popular answer to the issue), I cant get it to work.

Like I've stated, everything else works perfectly fine on these ports. I have no reason to believe it's the ports or it's drivers. To double check that, I reinstalled the driver for the ports using the driver disc that MSI included with the notebook.

Does anyone have a workaround?

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is the HD pinned as a Master, Slave or Cable Select? The manual (Page 6) says it must be pinned to Master, many come set to Cable Select. Also of course it requires additional external power as the USB 5V is not enough.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As for the power, the enclosure includes a power adapter. I've never had to use any jumper settings in the past when assembling a backup drive in this manner. In fact, this makes the 3rd one that I've assembled, one of which was of the same brand enclosure, but it was a USB 2.0 one.

That's weird, the drive shows (and works) perfectly when plugged into the one USB 2.0 port that I have, yet doesn't when plugged into the USB 3.0 ones. However, USB 3.0 is new to me.

I'll go to the WD site and see how to set these pins. BTW, what do I do them with? I have some alligator (or roach) clips, but these may be too large to work in a small area like this.

Cat

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken as I have a Caviar Blue 500 gb. lying around. It's a sata drive not a ide driver. Sata doesn't have any jumper's to configure. Cat try disabling you av and see if tha helps. For installing or updating any drivers for hardware, always disable your av first. After drivers installed, restart pc and re-enable av.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Here is an example. If you have jumpers they will look like that example and there will be instructions on the drive telling you how to pin it for Primary, slave, and cable select - make sure it is set to primary.

Reaction score
I've had drives that don't want to detect initially.

I don't understand why but I have attached USB drives that Windows 7 didn't detect until after I loaded Disk Management.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have reason to believe it's the data cable that's the problem, not the jumper settings. The reason that I say this, is that while trying to get it going, by formatting (again), the drive showed up when I simply leaned against the data cable. There are a couple of places on the cord where it's obviously been pinched.

Then after discovering this, I removed the SuperSpeed cord, replaced it with a standard cord, and WOW! The drive showed up in the format that I selected (Backup).

Like I previously stated, I've assembled 3 of these drives, Nibs showed me how, he even found this particular enclosure for me to purchase. He never instructed me to change any jumper settings, I've always assembled the backup drives, and Windows (and even Linux Mint) recognized them off the bat.

Plus, during the researching that I've done, I cannot find any instructions on WD's site for changing jumper settings on this drive. It's a WD Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB SATA HDD.

I'm going to contact Newegg in the morning to see if they'll send me a replacement cable. Hopefully, they won't have me send the entire unit back. But then again, they may, I don't know.

Thanks for all of the responses and advice given. Hopefully, I can have this backup drive going soon.

Cat

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken as I have a Caviar Blue 500 gb. lying around. It's a sata drive not a ide driver. Sata doesn't have any jumper's to configure.
Plus, during the researching that I've done, I cannot find any instructions on WD's site for changing jumper settings on this drive. It's a WD Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB SATA HDD.
As brkkab123 mentioned the SATA drives don't have jumpers.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm confident that it's the data cable in question here. For some reason, it'll work on the USB 2.0 port, but not the 3.0 ports. But once I switched the cable to a standard one, it did show up, I went through the motions of doing a backup with Todo Pro, and it was ready to backup.

Then I swapped the proper data cord back on, and it acted up again. It's either the cord, or the unit. Being that it works on the USB 2.0 port, I suspect that it's the cord. Or the fitting on the casing that the data cord attaches to. It may be best to swap the unit for another.

It's not my ports, if it were, then my BYTECC USB 3.0 to eSATA adapter wouldn't work, or it would work slow. It works normal (fast).

Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm just going to send the whole enclosure back for another one. Now it won't show up on either port, with either cord. Something is wrong with the entire unit, I believe.

So I replaced it (the HDD) back into the enclosure that I had originally bought for it (a USB 2.0 one), and it works perfectly, in both the 2.0 & 3.0 ports. Naturally, it won't run at 3.0 speeds, but my point is, the HDD is OK.

I've never had to deal with Newegg on returns before, I hope that I don't get the runaround over it, especially considering that I've spent over $1,000 there this year alone.

Cat

Reaction score
So I replaced it (the HDD) back into the enclosure that I had originally bought for it (a USB 2.0 one), and it works perfectly, in both the 2.0 & 3.0 ports. Naturally, it won't run at 3.0 speeds, but my point is, the HDD is OK.
Yes it would!!

Don't confuse USB 3.0 with SATA 3.0. Any SATA drive would benefit from a USB 3.0 connection, even SATA 1.0 drives are faster than USB 2.0.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So do you mean that the HDD installed within a USB 2.0 enclosure will run faster if plugged into a USB 3.0 port, rather than the 2.0 port?

I'll have to try that out.

Cat

Reaction score
Thats not what I was trying to imply.

You stated that the drive would not run at 3.0 speeds.

I'm saying that just about all drives sold today will run at USB 3.0 speeds.

Edit: I misunderstood, :( I think I see what you were saying now. The drive won't run at 3.0 speeds in the original case.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm going to try it anyway, just to see if the 3.0 port keeps the maximum speed for USB 2.0 up. With USB 2.0, using Macrium to backup, you can see the speed as the backup progresses. On my desktop, it never holds the max speed (480 mega bits per second). It varies greatly.

I wonder if it were plugged in a USB 3.0 port if it would.

EDIT: It doesn't. It runs no faster than it would on a USB 2.0 port (currently running at 146.6Mb/sec).

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
USB 3.0 uses two chipsets from what I hear.

One chipset to operate the USB 2.0/1.0 and another for the new USB 3.0 pin connections. I see no reasons why you would gain performance on the 3.0 ports using a 2.0 connection, because you would still be using 2.0 hardware. Unless you had the extra pin count to take advantage of the new chipset, the old chipset will be the only one used.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I noticed that the USB 3.0 cable had a bigger input going into the enclosure, with another set of pins at the top of the input. When I switched cables to see what was going on, I saw it. Who knows, it may be the chipset that's bad.

Tomorrow, I'm going to RMA the enclosure, hopefully Newegg won't give me the runaround over it.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I sent the enclosure back today, it cost me over $11 to RMA it. As soon as I get the replacement, I'll update this thread.

Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread.:)

Cat

Ask a Question