SOLVED Background slideshow frozen on screen

Reaction score
For some time now I've had the situation where the slideshow on my background freezes. When I go back to personalize the background settings, I see where it has unselected all but the one picture that was shown. I change it to a specific library of pictures and hit save changes, and the slideshow restarts and everything is fine. This was happening maybe 4-6 times a day. However, now the slideshow will not resume, although the resetting process seems to go fine. But the picture won't get off my screen! Has anyone had this happen or have a solution for me.
Much thanks in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is a difference between freezing and only having a single image selected. It sounds like maybe your picture selections are being lost.

Try opening Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization and there are 4 sections along the bottom, the first being desktop background. Go into that section and pick the pictures for your background. Then adjust the other three sections if you want any changes to Color, sounds, or screen saver. It should have created "Unsaved Theme" in the top section when you started making changes so now right-click on the Unsaved Theme and choose "Save Theme". Give it a name like "My Theme".

Now shut down your computer and reboot. See if it comes back up running "My Theme". If not your registry is likely messed up and will require a bit more work so come back and let us know. Or if "My Theme" comes up but your pictures still refuse to change let us know that as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update on problem

Thanks, Trainableman. I tried all that you suggested, but it still didn't change the picture. However, a friend of mine came up with a solution that seems to have fixed the problem. I submit his suggestion here:

" under the "Run" command, which you will find under All Programs/Accessories. Go to Start button, click on All Programs, then find Accessories (after Windows programs in list), and click on "Run". In Run box type the following:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

A list of "slideshow.ini" files (maybe one or two) should come up, along w/"TranscodedWallpaper.jpg". What the suggestions online say is to clear all info from the .ini files (delete all characters, and there are a LOT), then reboot, then try to reset the slide show under "Personalize" feature of the desktop like you've done before - this clears out any corrupted picture files, which the online forum says is the problem, and lets you start fresh. This is less drastic than a Restore, I guarantee you, and should work... "

Now, the only thing I found when I did this was the offending picture, which I deleted. Fairly soon it started showing another picture in that series, which would have been correct, per the picture set I had selected at that point. But I closed out, rebooted, and changed my personalization settings as usual, and it seems to have fixed it. Praise be for friends!!!
Maybe this can help someone else. Thanks again for the effort and response.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it worked out and thank you for sharing the solution.

I have marked this thread as solved.

Ask a Question