Backgound tiles after reboot -

Reaction score
Hello everyone - first time poster here...
I have a Dell Laptop (Latitude E5510) with a 2.8ghz core i7 and 8gig of RAM running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. This laptop is on a domain that also uses a logon script to map network drives and printers as well as run sysinternals bg info.
I have the BING desktop app installed that automaticall changes your desktop background everday to whatever BING has on their search page.
The problem is that whenever the laptop is turned on at the beginning of the day or rebooted after updates or whatever, the background is always tiled, I have to go in and set the background to fill and then save the changes; but once the machine is rebooted again - the background goes back to being tiled. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?
Any help or information will be greatly appreciated -
thanks in advance-
ITG:ciao:

P.S. I forgot to mention - the laptop is docked and i am using two (2) - 21" monitors...

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Does your logon script load your user settings from the server? If so then they would need to be changed on the server by your network administrator.

Otherwise the settings are stored in your registry. While logged on, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\TileWallpaper will be a 1 if you have it set to tiled, but HKEY_CURRENT_USER is overwritten from HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-????\Control Panel\Desktop\TileWallpaper at each logon; possibly the changes are not getting back to there. First figure out which S-1-5-21-???? is yours and then set TileWallpaper to 1 under there, then logoff and log back on and see if it solves your problem. If not, then you either tried the wrong S-1-5-21-???? or your settings are coming from the server and will need to be changed there.

Reaction score
Does your logon script load your user settings from the server? If so then they would need to be changed on the server by your network administrator.

Otherwise the settings are stored in your registry. While logged on, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\TileWallpaper will be a 1 if you have it set to tiled, but HKEY_CURRENT_USER is overwritten from HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-????\Control Panel\Desktop\TileWallpaper at each logon; possibly the changes are not getting back to there. First figure out which S-1-5-21-???? is yours and then set TileWallpaper to 1 under there, then logoff and log back on and see if it solves your problem. If not, then you either tried the wrong S-1-5-21-???? or your settings are coming from the server and will need to be changed there.

No - user settings are on the local machine...
I will check the registry here in a little while and post what I find and the results -
Thanks TrainableMan....

Reaction score

That seemed to do the trick, I actually had to go through the process twice before it would stay (strange), but nonetheless it worked. Mucho thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you.

I have marked this thread as solved.

Reaction score
Well - I thought all was well, today my background just changed back to being tiled again. This time it did so at random while I was browsing in IE, I happen to notice my second monitor kinda flicker behind the window that was open on it and when I minimized the window I noticed that the background was tiled. Back to square one...any other ideas or suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if it happens while you are logged on that's different than loosing it at shutdown and subsequent start-up.

I would suspect, if you are not changing your desktop settings manually, that some program is altering them: turning off Aero, changing background or screensaver ... perhaps photo software like Picasso that allows you to set a scrolling picture background, something along those lines that you should look for. Pay attention to what software is running in the background (registry cleaners, etc) as well as what software you are running purposefully; W7 doesn't just change settings on its' own.

Ask a Question