AV Test - 2nd quarter of 2010 test reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Why is Avast first when it scored worse than Symantec?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Oh that's okay, I just wasn't sure how to read that thing.

Reaction score
If they mean usability as in "how to use your computer to learn how to fix its numerous issues", then yes, Symantec would be amongst the best.

These "tests" are either skewed or done by insert-unflattering-name-here.

Reaction score
If they mean usability as in "how to use your computer to learn how to fix its numerous issues", then yes, Symantec would be amongst the best.

These "tests" are either skewed or done by insert-unflattering-name-here.
Well... tests are like evrything else, there's for all tastes.
The best test is the one made for everyone at home, in our computers... that's the real test.

Reaction score
I agree that the best test is at home using AV software, because someone says this or that is the best doesn't mean it will be the best for joe bloggs, but as TorrentG said previously many AV softwares do cause bsod and other issues for many user's so only you can decide in what's best for you and should only use these product reviews as a basic guide, a good basic guide!

my opinion anyway :)

Reaction score
Here's the real-world test, with all of them updated to latest:

Avast - Great
AVG - So, so - still see bsods but no where near as bad and notorious as last year
Avira - Decent
BitDefender - Alright, eh
ESET - Great
F-Secure - Good
G Data - Great
Kaspersky - Excellent
McAfee - Bad
MSE - Perfect, the best of the best when it comes to issues and not having them (not talking about detection rates, but that also is well.)
Norman - No experience with it
Panda - Bad to Alright, eh
PC Tools - Alright
Symantec - Worst of the worst
Trend Micro - Alright, eh
Webroot - Alright, eh

And there you have it folks.

Reaction score
Kaspersky is what i have i am testing just now with 30 day trail and seems pretty good, im happy with it dont have any issues and i am sure i will purchase.

Reaction score
I have Kaspersky as part of ZoneAlarm Extreme. It's integrated in it. It has a perfect track record on my 4 machines (2 mine and other 2 family members' that I admin.)

No crashes, perfect detection rate and no false positives. Been this way for many years now.

Reaction score
I have Kaspersky as part of ZoneAlarm Extreme. It's integrated in it. It has a perfect track record on my 4 machines (2 mine and other 2 family members' that I admin.)

No crashes, perfect detection rate and no false positives. Been this way for many years now.

Even looks like a strong security setup :) I actually like kasp IS 2011 since i been using it, got to say really impressed with the features and how light it is on the system, dont even know its there.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
MSE is excellent. When I used Symantec, half of my downloads from GameCopyWorld kept getting intercepted for supposed infections. With MSE, never finds anything. Now that's what I call peace of mind.

Reaction score
Yep, Symantec has some kind of deal with game manufacturers and others to keep files that the manufacturers would not want on your machine off of it. Terrible business models forced to consumers. Another notorious Symantec reason.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yes, that must be what it is.

Reaction score
I came to a conclusion... there's lot of talking, here, about AVG and BSODs.
So i went and googled about:
BSOD Avg, BSOD Avira, BSOD Avast, BSOD MSE... and they all cause the infamous BSOD.
Off course... there're lots of reasons for this... but, it happens with all of them.
I think it's wrong to spread the ideia that one or another is the cause of "all" bad things.
For example: i use AVG for about 4 years now. Not even one BSOD... no virus problems.
I've the habit of doing online scans every two or three weeks... and they just confirm the AVG results.
So, whats wrong?
The difference between AVG, Avast and Avira (freeware top "sellers") is residual, almost none.
So, again, whats wrong? Nothing... i think. It all depends on our computers hardware, drivers, software compatibility, maybe.

Reaction score
''It all depends on our computers hardware, drivers, software compatibility, maybe.''

I do believe this maybe the case as i have mentioned this before which is why it is difficult to recommend a certain AV program to anyone, they would need to go out and test a few themselves to see what works for them.

However AVG does tend to cause bsod more than others for some strange reason, had this myself, dont know why but it does. you are the lucky one! :)

Reaction score
BladeRunner, go analyze 20-30,000 crash dumps then return and tell us what you think.

MSE does not cause crash dumps, no matter how many amateurs you may see saying it does.

AVG crashed almost every machine it was on last year.

Reaction score
BladeRunner, go analyze 20-30,000 crash dumps then return and tell us what you think.

MSE does not cause crash dumps, no matter how many amateurs you may see saying it does.

AVG crashed almost every machine it was on last year.
Show the tests that prove it...
Because... saying that it crashed almost every machine it was on... is a big statement!
I know many people who use it and i dont remember any of that... only the simple discussion about what av is best and what av is the less best, worst, etc.
Usually BSODs happen because grafics, drivers, memory... at least the ones i know of... and what i read about in foruns...
So... people have to believe you, but you dont believe in others... they're amateurs...
Ok... what a lucky, lucky guy i am. Never had a BSOD with AVG...
It's your opinion and i respect that.

Reaction score
I don't have to prove anything....I am known worldwide as one of, if not, the most respected bsod analyst in the world.

If I say something as factual, it is and that's that. I wouldn't do so without being completely sure and positive.

I want to make a note here that I am not being arrogant. I dislike being perceived as such, but at the same time, it seems to be the only way I can make my points clear enough to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question