Audio / video stop working...HELP!

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just bougth on new pc - HP z600 workstation with windows 7 64bit professional operating system. I have install everything i need but now i've notice i'm having a problem with my audio /video programs. I simply can't open video files and with auidio something is wrong too.
Windows Media player, for example is not able to open not even the sample video i have on my system - i gete the "WMP stopped working message". I tried othe programs like quick time, VLC, etc... and something must be wrong with my audio/video codecs.
Can someone help me to figure out what's going on?

Reaction score
This may sound silly, but can you get sound when you click up or down on the volume icon near the time?

That will confirm its not the driver if you hear that small "ding"

Reaction score
Yes i can... all ok with my sound card.
It's most likely a software problem, afftecting almost all my audi/video programs.
Just to give one idea... i can listen musuc with WMP, but after some seconds it crashes and i get the message "WMP Stopped working..."

Reaction score
yea.. seems like it..

try to remove the Windows Media Player (WMP) from control panel.
then try VLC
and after that try reinstalling WPM.. maybe the latest one.
see if that helps.

other thing I can think of is maybe you need the right codecs. chances are less.. but posible

Reaction score
VLC is not working is my system... :(

I have some new input about my problem:
I've notice that if i open the folder C:\Programfiles\windows media player and execute the WMP.exe file and choose to open some video it works fine!
The problem is that when i choose to open a file with windows media player it will automatically open with the WMP exe file from C:\Program files (86x)\Windows Media Player.
Something similar is hapenning with internet explorer. I get the same message as with the windows Media Player if i open using the icon from Program files (86x). But it works fine with the icon from the program files!
Why is this happenning if i have a 64 bit operating system??????
Please help!
My problem is not solved because i need itunes and quick time to work, and my system don't accept the 32 bit instalation for this programs because it automatically detects that i'm running a 64 bit system, but when i install the lateste 64 bit version it is instaled in the ProgramFiles (86x) folder and i can't run the programs properly!
What a mess this 64 bit operating system!!!

Reaction score
the folder C:\program files (86x)\is for 32bit applications. so it appears that WMP 32 bit works fine for you, but 64 bit is having problems.
One work around is to have the file types like mp3, wma, mov, etc associated with the WMP that is working fine.
but this is not the solution.
Can you remove Windows media player, restart and re-install it and see if that works?

Reaction score
I´m using windows 7. is not possible to unistall it. and is not possible to download WMP 12 for windows 7 64 bit anywhere. I tried many times to diseble it and eneble it in windwos media features, but nothing chenged. :(

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Try this little tutorial I found this morning:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]pjzgx4ikc4Y[/MEDIA]"]

Reaction score
That was a nice tip. Thank you... now windows media player is working, but everytime i open it i get an error message saying "file error, wronge vts filter", but it abels me to go on and proceed with the video watching.
But that wont solve my problem with other programs. I need quicktime player to your, for example and when i double click the latestest version that i have instaled in my system it wont simply respond.
Dont know whats going on.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Quicktime has nothing to do with WMP so of course a fix for WMP didn't help that.

It sounds like your codecs are messed up. Installing multiple codec packs can cause conflicts and may be how your system was corrupted. If you have a codec pack installed (or even more than one) then the best option is to uninstall it/them and then install a single common codec pack.

Common choices are K-Lite or CCCP, not both.

Note that there is also a K-Lite64 which is for 64-bit browsers and WMP64; it can be installed along side the 32-bit codecs because they are separate and will not conflict.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It´s true that i have instaled codecs pakages... and í think that my problem may be related to that. The problem is that i have unistall them already and i still have the problem. How can i check if i have all the unnecessary codecs clean? Is it possible that some codecs packeges have corruped my system, how can i correct that without having to unistall windows, or restore (because i dout have usable restore points unfortunatly :( ).

Please help

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have already uninstalled the codec packs then pick ONE of the two above and install it.

Reaction score
But how can i be sure that i have unistall the other packs? Could it be possible to have some leftovers that can conflict?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well there are always some codecs already on the computer. You can get a list of what's installed by opening WMP. Go to Help ... About Windows Media Player ... Technical Support Information.

And I don't know why exactly it isn't recommended to install multiple codec packs but I have read that it isn't a good idea. But obviously you are getting an error so I was hoping a new codec pack install will fix that.

Microsoft codec info

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Oh BTW, Quicktime is still not included in either of those codec packs because quicktime is proprietary apple and for the most part is being phased out/replaced by flash and silverlight. So for that one uninstall quicktime if it is in your add/remove programs list and then reinstall it. Or install Quicktime Lite

Reaction score
Quick time is not working. I´ve unistall and install it again several times, including using revo unistaller to removed any lefovers, but nothing works!
I double click thi icon for quick time and nothing happens. The problem is that i need quicktime to work, because i work in audio editing and i use Protools 9. Prottols needs quicktime to import mov videos and creat new audio tracks for the videos.
I don't know why is this happening but í'm getting to the conclusion that something must be wrong with my windows because the same thing that i told you before that is happenning to my widows media player 32 bit is happening as well with my default internet explorer 32 bit. If i try to open the internet explorer 32 bit i get the message "Internet Explorer stopped working..." but if i use the 64 bit version i can surf with no problem.... whant's going on?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It could be lots of things:
Your HD could be going bad and files are becoming corrupted.
You could have a virus which is affecting program execution.
Your registry may have been damaged by a registry cleaning product.
(You say yours is new but for others: If you upgraded in-place from Vista rather than doing a fresh install it often starts acting strangely; again, most likely a registry problem.)

I would run a scandisk to check for drive problems. Also run a complete virus scan. If those show clear then I would recommend you use the Windows Easy transfer utility to back up your userids and data and then do a complete reinstall.

Rather than a complete install, you could try a system restore from and old restore point if you have any prior to the problem. You can also try a system repair from the W7 disk or from a recovery disk if you created one (or you can create one on another W7 computer and try that on yours). ... but I don't think they will help. I suspect either your HD needs replaced (depending if scandisk finds a lot of disk errors) or most likely it is system file/registry corruption best resolved with a new install.

Maybe others have some different ideas to suggest.

Reaction score
filmac, ee if you are able to run the Quicktime as admin.
in program files, hold down the shift key and right click on Quiktime. then select "run as Administrator".. see if this helps.

Another reason could be that quicktime maybe frozen in background.
check the task manager and kill add process associated with Quicktime, including itunes and update parts.
then try again.

This should help finding the problem.

Reaction score
Finally i found a solution to my problem!!!
Just had to updat my BIOS in HP web site...the system is working great... no format needed!

Ask a Question