ATI Windows 7 Drivers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The latest ATI Catalyst 9.3 drivers now officially support Windows 7. Daily Tech have the full lowdown on this here:

AMD's graphics division has released ATI Catalyst 9.3 drivers with full support for Windows 7, including Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.1 compliance for ATI Radeon HD 4000, 3000, and 2000 series of graphics cards.

All future ATI Catalyst postings will deliver one single unified driver for both Windows 7 and Windows Vista, allowing Windows 7 beta testers the convenience of swapping back and forth between the two operating systems without the hassle of multiple drivers which may have differing builds.

Gaming performance has also been improved for Windows 7, increasing its lead over Windows Vista. Catalyst 9.3 supports the Direct2D API introduced in Windows 7, which could improve everything from ClearType text rendering to hardware-accelerated vector graphics. Improved (e-mail address removed) scores are also promised for ATI Radeon HD 4000, 3000, and 2000 series of graphics cards.
You can download the latest ATI drivers from here:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Reaction score
This is a good step for ATi...and any other vendor.

Get Windows 7 drivers working properly now, so the launch of the official will have a following of users who know they won't have any severe issues.

Reaction score
ok, using the windows 7 RC...
MAJOR problems with my ATI cards. With the windows 7 beta, i could at least install beta drivers or official stuff, now with the RC it seems impossible?
ive tried downloading 9.3, 9.5, full CCC, drivers without CCC. ALL install fine, only i see NO change on my screen, im still stuck on the automatic drivers that the RC jammed on.

Ive also tried installing under vista/XP compatibility, with no luck(of course)

Windows properties box says the card is "X1950 Pro (Microsoft Corporation) WDDM. ?!?!?!?!

Its really pissing me off now, its stopping me working and gaming. Anyone have any ideas as to why on earth the RC is ignoring the installs and continuing to use default ones?

Last edited:
Reaction score
"updating driver software" in the device manager dosent work either, i just keep getting an arrogant windows message "windows finds that your drivers are the best and up to date". or something like that.

Also CCC is apparently hiding on my pc...

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What happens if you uninstall the default MS drivers (via device manager) and then install the ATI ones, does that work?

Reaction score
I have the same problem as Faun

My driver version is ATI 8.56.1.13 When I install the package I get the message on completion "Driver Install: the specified driver package was not installed for matching devices" version 8.591.0.0000 was not installed.

CCC will not fire up although it says it is installed.

My card is the Radeon 1900XT.

Reaction score
I had no problems, To begin with i had problems installing Catalyst for my HD 4870 card. However i went onto Sapphires website and redownloaded the correct drivers and software and this installed correctly.

The best part is that these drivers are more reliable than the ones that arrived came with the card.

Reaction score
@ Ian - i tried that almost immediately, it turns off the screen and I have to reboot. upon reboot, the default drivers are still there.

Still no CCC to be found.

ALSO - and i hate to admit this, but despite my crossfire not being enabled (thanks win7!) the WDDM drivers are handling games like L4D and TF2 pretty alright....

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem as well- only i found it out because the windows themes weren't changing. It was detecting the problem and said the WDDM drivers weren't up to date or compatable with windows 7.

I'm using an Radeon HD 3850 AGP card, and used the hotfix drivers, not the ones marked windows 7 (figured it would say no hardware detected). Anyways I'm installing the windows 7 drivers now, and I'm uninstalling the old ones, and I'll see if I have any problems from there.

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem as well- only i found it out because the windows themes weren't changing. It was detecting the problem and said the WDDM drivers weren't up to date or compatable with windows 7.

I'm using an Radeon HD 3850 AGP card, and used the hotfix drivers, not the ones marked windows 7 (figured it would say no hardware detected). Anyways I'm installing the windows 7 drivers now, and I'm uninstalling the old ones, and I'll see if I have any problems from there.
How did the installation go?

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and looked around on the ATI forums, because my issue wasn't resolved. The windows 7 download didn't really download any drivers, at least not the ones i needed. It didn't pop up with "No hardware detected" though, at least for me.

The ATI forums said that what is needed is for you to download the AGP hotfix for Vista (bit version depending on your copy of Win7), install it, and then go to the device manager and manually install the drivers from your installation directory you marked on the Install Wizard of the hotfix. I did this, and now both Graphics and Gaming Graphics on my Windows test came up from 1.9 and 1.0 to both being 6.0.

Try it out, if you have a problem.

Reaction score
I have an HIS ATI Radeo 4670 512MB PCIe Adapter and am running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64 Bit Version 7600.

Here is what I did to fix it. After trying at least 20 different drivers from ATI's site, I finally ended up going to HIS site.

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/download.shtml

I downloaded the driver with this description:

..................................................................................................
ATI Catalyst: (ref. no: 0812)
Platform: Windows Vista (32bit/64bit)
VISTA Driver Verison: Vista_8.523-080808a-068036C-ATI with WHQL Note: Users must have Microsoft's .NET Version 1.1 Framework prior to installing the ATI driver/Catalyst Control Centre(CCC) components

..................................................................................................

The file name is:

Vista_8.523-080808a-068036C-ATI.zip

This is the Vista driver for an ATI 4670 512 mb PCIe adapter.

Uncompress the file.

1. Boot into Safe Mode.

2. Execute the following from a command prompt to turn on the Windows Installer Service:

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
net start msiserver

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
net start msiserver

3. Execute the following from a command prompt to isable Driver Signing:

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

4. Open the Device Manager.

5. Left Click and expand "Display adapters".

6. Right Click on the Display Adapter. Example: (ATI Radeon HD 4670)

7. Left Click Update Driver Software.

8. Left Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

9. Left Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

10. When the window with the prompt "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware." comes up, uncheck "Show compatible hardware".

11. Left Click "Have Disk".

12. Browse to the directory: "C:\Drivers\ATI\Support\Vista_8.523-080808a-068036C-ATI\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF" and click on the inf file "CH_68036.inf"

(That's where I put the uncompressed driver files.)

13. Select your adapter (if necessary).

14. Follow prompts and reboot.

You should now be able to select 1920 x 1080 using your VGA cable.

Ask a Question