ATI Radoen 9600 Graphic Card doesnt work on Windows 7, what do i do?

Reaction score
the latest update driver is Vista, and it says I won't update it anymore, at least thats what I think, you can go look to the site and look for yourself. And so thats what I did, but since this is not Vista, it makes the wallpaper black and stays that way, but when i restart it, it screen gets messy, and I had to System Restore. My Question is, is there anyway to make the graphic card work on Windows 7, at least this one?

Reaction score
Quote found here - ATI Catalyst™ Display Legacy Driver
Downloads will be at bottom of the page
AMD has moved a number of DX9 ATI Radeon™ graphics accelerators products to a legacy driver support structure. This change impacts Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Linux distributions. AMD has moved to a legacy software support structure for these graphics accelerator products in an effort to better focus development resources on future products.
The following products have been moved to the legacy software support structure (including Mobile and All-in-Wonder Variants):
ATI Radeon 9500 Series
ATI Radeon 9550 Series
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
ATI Radeon X550 Series
ATI Radeon X600 Series
ATI Radeon X700 Series
ATI Radeon X800 Series
ATI Radeon X850 Series
ATI Radeon X1050 Series
ATI Radeon X1300 Series
ATI Radeon X1550 Series
ATI Radeon X1600 Series
ATI Radeon X1650 Series
ATI Radeon X1800 Series
ATI Radeon X1900 Series
ATI Radeon Xpress Series
ATI Radeon X1200 Series
ATI Radeon X1250 Series
ATI Radeon X2100 Series
Please note the lack of Windows 7 support for the legacy devices. Try compatibility mode if they fail to install regularly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Download doesn't work because I don't have XP, and why do you mean by compatibility mode?

Reaction score
There's a slight problem because I'm running Windows 7, and there's no compatibility mode for Windows 7.

Reaction score
There's a slight problem because I'm running Windows 7, and there's no compatibility mode for Windows 7.
You are using Windows 7 so you run compatibility mode for one of the other Operating Systems. You are not going to see Windows 7 in the list to run in compatibility mode.

Reaction score
I don't quite get you, what's point of doing the compatibility when I don't even have that Operating System, might as well install regularly because it's going to be the same, Installing Vista driver on Windows 7

Reaction score
If the Application does not run normally then run it in a different OS mode. Set compatibility mode to Vista or XP.

Reaction score
Same thing is going to happen, because the latest driver is Vista, and regardless of what Operating System, it must be Windows 7.

Reaction score
If using compatibility mode is out of the question. You are left with not using Windows 7 or buying a card that has support for Windows 7.

Compatibility mode whether it works or not, is so you can install XP/Vista applications within Windows 7 that will not install normally.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
If you have a Vista Driver Install File (.exe), Right-Click it and look for the Compatibility Tab. Click that and you will see a tic-box for Run in Compatibility Mode and a Drop Down. Look for Vista (Service pack 1 or 2, it wont matter) and select that. Now OK/Apply. Try to now run the install.

Reaction score
I don't really get it though, because when I don't do the compatibility mode, and run it normally and its for Windows Vista, which is the latest driver for this graphics card, the wallpaper changes to a black background and when I restart it, it has graphic errors, and can't run Windows 7 normally, so I have to go to safe mode and use system restore. What I don't get is that, wouldn't it be the samething if I did on Compatibility mode?

Reaction score
Install normally, or run normally... I thought compatibility mode was there so you can run programs in another windows mode, if its not working with W7. I never installed programs using compatibility.

I may be wrong, just my thoughts on the matter.

Reaction score
Well yeah that's my thoughts are exactly, why would you run other Operating Systems, because this installation is different than others, because You need to have THAT Operating System, inorder to work correctly or cant I diasble some windows 7 festures to make the graphic card work? I don't know if it will work, but it's an Idea.

Reaction score
Its not running other operating systems... Basically it just allows you to open or run a program in Windows 7 as if its running it in Windows XP or Vista... Because some programs arnt working properly in W7. So it allows you still to run these programs in W7 by running them in a mode called compatability mode.

My thoughts were based on Clifford_Cooley comment of "installing" a program using compatability mode, I wasnt aware of this feature.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Compatibility mode can work for just installing and/or for just running a program already installed (i.e. the compatibility mode can be set separately, you could install in XP mode and run in Vista mode after install...not sure where this would be needed but the options are there)

Reaction score
Guys there may not be any compatibility issues with the drivers themselves. It could be the installer that is not compatible with windows 7. If there is compatibility problems running things in windows 7. These compatibility modes allow windows 7 to enter a different mode to be more compatible for older applications.

Reaction score
Well everything went perfect. until I wanted to test it, so I wanted to restart it, and unfortunately, It didn't work, and my thoughts were correct because it happened the samething, when I installed normally, even without Computability mode. So what do I do then?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does windows update detect anything for the graphics adapter? They would be found under optional updates.

There has got to be something you can do to fix that.

Ask a Question