ATI Radeon x1200 series.... drivers will not work

Reaction score
I have a Satellite 215 A4747 laptop with Vista, which has the Radeon x1200 video card.
Now it may be the fact that I installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and the card just does not have the driver support for it, but I spent 2 hours trying different things and it will not take. I am going to try the 32 bit version tonight and see if I have better luck. I reinstalled Vista in the interim, but not happy with vista.

Reaction score
AMD ATI x1200 works on 32 bit home premium not on 64 bit ultimate

I have an Acer Aspire M5100 with ATI Radeon X1200. MOBO is upgradeable to 8GB of RAM. I currently have 6GB. I was running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and everything worked fine. During the install Microsoft set the video driver to their ATI (WDDM) version and it worked. I downloaded the 10.2 catalyst from ATI and it installed their latest driver. Also worked fine.

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit so that I could take advantage of the additional RAM. I also access my work computer remotely and the added security sounded good. I deleted my HD partitions, created a new partition and formatted for the clean install. (since you can't upgrade from 32 to 64). During the install everything went fine, up to the point that the computer restarts and you have to provide input to finalize the installation. At the restart the computer begins using the (WDDM) driver that Microsoft installs. This driver is not supported by Windows Ultimate 64 bit. I got the solid white screen. At this point the installation is not comets and you can't get to safe mode.
I used my phone to go on the Internet and download a step by step screenshot of installing windows 7. (just searched that in google). The first window after restart should have been select language. Default is English so I hit enter. The next screenwas type a name for the computer. I could still see the mouse cursor so I s rolled around the page until the cursor changed to the "I" for entering text. I entered the name and pressed enter. Next would be password. I opted to set that later and just pressed enter. (all the while the screen is solid white). Next would be product key. I scrolled as before to find the spot and entered the key and presses enter. Next is install updates. Used default by pressing enter. Next is clock and time zone. Again default by pressing enter and change later.
The computer will restart and you get the solid white screen. Manually reboot (hold I. The power button until it goes off then turn it back on). During boot up press F8 (at least on mine) to get to safe mode menu. Start in safe mode. This will disable the (WDDM) driver and use low resolution VGA. At thi point. I went to divide manager and properties of the display adapter (ATI X1200) and selected "update driver". I selected the locate myself option and then instead of browsing the computer, I selected pick from a list of drivers. This brought up two drivers. The Microsoft ATI (WDDM) and Standard VGA. I selected Standard VGA and apply. I restarted the computer and the white screen was gone.
I downloaded the catalyst 10.2 from ATI, ran the program and I stalled the driver. Restarted the computer and I got the white screen. I Restarted and as before used F8 to get to safe mode. I reset the driver as before to standard VGA and Restarted.
The AMD ATI Radeon x1200 works on Wondows 7 Home Premium 32 bit but not on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I went to Windows 7 site and used the compatibility tool to find a 64 bit compatible graphics card. Hopped online and ordered the Zotac 9500 GT. should be here in a few days. Using the standard VGA driver, I will be able to load Programs and backed up files while I wait. The new card said it would be plug and play. Won't even need third party software.
So, you still need a new graphics card to run Windows 7 64 bit. This process will allow you get started a d for those tight on cash, it will allow you to work and utilize above 4GB of RAM until you can afford the new card or get one for Christmas.
BTW this took a load of research online, questioning friends, trial and error, prayer and two days to work out.

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried a number of the legacy drivers and each time I was presented the solid white screen at startup. My Acer is about 5 years old. Has a 500GB hard drive a 500w power supply, AMD Athelon dual core 64 6000+ processors at 3.0GHZ. I like the system and it was probably time to upgrade the video card anyway. I did all that work to try and get to a point where I could I stall old drivers to eliminate the need to buy a new card and ended up buying one anyway. Very good learning experience though.

Ask a Question