Applications that don't work with Windows 7 64-Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I might be stirring up a hornets nest with this question. However I am curious as to the number of Application's that do not work under Windows 7 64-Bit.

If you know of an Application that you could not run under Windows 7, please list it below.

If someone knows for sure that the Application listed works, we can split the known Application to a thread of its own to help those that are having troubles.

Please do not list Adobe Flash plugin.
We all know this is a known issue and Adobe Flash plugin works just fine with the 32-Bit browser versions in Windows 7 64-Bit.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The only one I had issues with was
Webroot® Window Washer®

32 bit ONLY!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
64/32 None so far. I have 72 regulars on my DVD. Not all currently installed, but have been. No probs (So far!!)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
MRU Blaster from Javacool, nice little app but wont work in 64-bit, works in 32-bit Windows 7.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Veedaz.
I had not heard of the proggy. I noticed it did not list Windows 7 as a possibility. I have just downloaded it and selected Vista compatibility mode and the "run as Administrator" option. Installed and ran 100% in 64Bit.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The only program I could not get installed in Win7 64 bit was CD Stomper Pro Version 3.x

I also had issues with my scanner Cannon Lide35 but was able to use the Lide60 drivers. The only part that does not work is the scanners "Quick Scan" buttons but I never used them anyway.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Veedaz.
I had not heard of the proggy. I noticed it did not list Windows 7 as a possibility. I have just downloaded it and selected Vista compatibility mode and the "run as Administrator" option. Installed and ran 100% in 64Bit.
Thats good news ! will try that and thanks Dave :top:

Reaction score
Applications written in Visual Basic 3.0 (I know it's a bit old, but lots of applications have been written in VB 3.0, which used to run perfectly, even in windows 7 32-bits but not on 64-bits!
Willy Pauwels

Reaction score
Hi, I am running Window 7 Home Premium 64bit--installed as an uprgrade
from Vista.

I can not get" Photo Story 3" for Windows to work. The XP download will
install and start, but will hang up and I have to clear with a hard reboot.
I have tried all the compatability modes--xp-vista-etc., also running as
Administrator--can't get anything to work.??

Reaction score
Hello, Have the same OS and upgrade.
Installed Photo Story 3, ran and used without problem.
Have read several post in different newsgroups with your problem.
So far have not come across a solution.
Have you tried running in compatibility mode?

Reaction score
beamish--thanks for the reply. Glad you have Photo Story 3 working. I tried again,
but no luck. What compatability mode are you using?? Looks like we both upgraded
to Win7 Home Premium from Vista Home Premium. What version of Photo Story
are you using--maybe an earlier version? Also, did you download the program from a
32bit or 64bit browser? Can't see how this would make a difference-but??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Have a practice of downloading to and saving to disc.
Transfer the file to a storage CD. Sometimes will return to
program issue site (months later) and search for updates.
Believe this was downloaded from MS ( when first issued).
Used a x86 IE browser.
Installed on several different OS, straight install.
No compatibility mode.
Cannot find a reason why the program would not run properly.
May I suggest trying to install without AV and Anti-malware
active.

Reaction score
Thanks beamish for the suggestions--I will try them--If they don't work, I will
wait for the Windows 7 SP1 patch and see if they put something in that to
run Photo Story 3 in Windows 7 Home Premium.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have found one of my programs, or a feature of one of my AV's, wont work with 64 bit Windows. The boot time scan feature (a good one) doesn't work w/64 bit. This feature does a through scan prior to startup, one that can contain an infection before it spreads through your computer. I used it several times in XP, and it does a excellent job. But last night, I attempted this scan, the program informed me it works in 32 bit mode only. I don't know if it was by design, or 64 bit doesn't support it. It's a great feature of Avast, though. If anyone knows of a similar program that works with 64 bit, please let me know.

Reaction score
Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
Can't get Print Artist Gold 23 to finish installing. When you click on the shortcut icon to finish the install it says I have to be the administrator. I am the administrator. I right click on the icon. There is no "Run as administrator" listed, so I click on properties and the menu comes up on the short cut tab. Only tabs listed are: General, shortcut, carbonite(backup program), security, details and previous versions. On the shortcut tab I click advanced and a box comes up showing two options. One box says "Run as administrator" the other "Run in separate memory space". "Run in separate memory space" has a check mark. The "Run as administrator box is open. Both boxes however are grayed out. It will not let you change the check mark from the one box to the "Run as administrator box".

I have installed this on my other computer which runs Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit and it installed and runs fine.

So this is not a software problem it is a Windows 7 64 bit problem.

I also have Print Artist 4 program on this (64 bit) computer and it installed fine and didn't have any problems.

Please help.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all it's NOT a Windows 7 X64 problem. The software is the issue.

You stated it installed fine on a 32-bit Windows 7 but not 64-bit. Therefore it's a software issue, not the operating system.

Have you tried installing in "Compatibility Mode"?

The software maker's website states the following:
System Requirements: Windows® XP, Vista® or 7
If the software was 64-bit compatible it would say so, such as:
Windows XP, XP 64-bit, Vista, Vista 64-bit, or 7, 7 64-bit.

You might install the XP Mode VM on the Windows 7 X64 OS and then installing the software within the XP Mode.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
First of all it's NOT a Windows 7 X64 problem. The software is the issue.
Agreed! It is the program developers responsibility to create 64-bit versions of their software. It is not Windows responsibility to ensure all 32-bit programs run in 64-bit Windows.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So it sounds like run as adminisrator in compatibility mode is not possible (you said it's grayed out) so how about try this instead: completely turn off UAC for the install: control panel\User Accounts ... Change User AccControl settings ... set it all the way to the bottom. Then try install.

This is a thread about programs that don't work in 64 but do in 32 so if you find it will not work in 64 then by all means let us know but as has been mentioned, this isn't the fault of the OS, it has to do with how the software was programmed and compiled and is up to the manufacturer to make compatible in the OSes for which it is intended.

Many programs that don't work in 64 but do in 32 are because the code is actually 16-bit (such as WillyPauwels mention of VB 3.0 apps) and most of these applications can be run in a Virtual XP window as a workaround.

EDI

Reaction score
I use Windows 7 pro (64) and have not yet found a way to install an old ACT! (v 6.0) CRM application that loaded and worked well from W 95 though XP Pro/SP2. If you have any ideas on what can try to get this 32 app to install in Windows 7 (64) I am willing to test test it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question