anyone get a xp machine to map drive to win7

Reaction score
xp pro sp3 and win7 home premium
win7 can see xp ok and can map an xp drive/folder/etc in the win7 pc
in xp, the folder I have shared on win7 shows up in network neighborhood but get the idiot message 'folder not accessible. you might not have have permission....' yeah sure, I might not have a lot of things but how about something specific:rolleyes:
I added the xp user to the win7 shared folder user list with read/write permissions.
????????? basically all the things I have done many times with xp for sharing between xp machines
I'm also wondering if win7 can be set to share but will prompt for a user/pswd when attempted to view or map from xp? that functionality in xp seems to make so much sense
I've seen a post where the ipx/spx protocol needs to be added to win7 to make xp to win7 sharing possible, is that the case?

Reaction score
Hi bbxrider - Welcome to w7forums

Try this and see if it works for you.

There is a setting to enable password protection on the PC. By default this option is enabled. With this option enabled only people with a Username and password are allowed access to the PC. This goes without saying even those without passwords are also blocked from accessing the PC.

Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Network and Sharing Center >> Advanced sharing settings

Reaction score
negatory, I had it set to turn-off, and then with your reply, set to to turn-on, just for fun, and that doesn't work either.
I did create an account on the win7 with the same username as the xp acct currently logged in when trying to get the file access, thinking just in case win7 would be looking for that in the request only without giving a chance to supply a un/pswd with the request
I noticed the default shared win7 folder, 'users', which I can access from xp, has 'everyone' set to full control, which imho, would be a rare setup, sharing mostly needs to be not only limited to certain users, but the type of permissions they have as well.
there is also something strange about the default permissions. for the 'users' folder properties, sharing tab, advanced sharing, permissions, 'everyone' has 'full control'
but under the security tab, 'everyone' doesn't have full control?? just read+exec, list folder contents, and read.
so.... 'everyone' has different permissions depending on what tab you view them under???
I did not touch this, this how 7 came configured.
this whole thing is too strange that it is this hard to be able to get xp to access 7, I have seen at least dozens of threads with the same question being asked.

Reaction score
that article is about mapping an xp drive on a win7 machine, my question is to map a win7 drive on an xp machine, just the opposite

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In XP, if you go to folder options ... view tab. Do you have Use Simple File Sharing checked?

I believe Win 7 prefers it complicated, so try setting it up without simple file sharing enabled.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

Note According to the MS article, you cannot disable simple file sharing in Windows XP Home Edition

Last edited:
Reaction score
as I specified in the original post, the xp machine is xp pro sp3, but just fyi, actually you can registry around the home restriction if that was the case.
so to answer your question, simple is not checked, it is off. again as I talked about in a previous post, I'm used to setting up sharing in the xp world, by user and by permissions per user, by folder etc. I thought I've done all that to the win7 folders. Maybe because I've done it so many times, and it has a understandable (to me anyway) logic about it, I don't find it that complicated. but something is sure different concerning win7
the only setup that works so far is the default setup I got with win7 installed by the pc vendor, to give the 'everyone' account full control, but thats not sharing, and security and permissions, that is just lame.
I'd bet a lot of money that most win7 machines come set up that way, its what you get if you installed a new system from a dvd

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've never tried to do this so I'm just spit-balling ideas that I find from a web search or that pop into my head so here's another ...
Since XP does not have homegroups, could disabling homegroups on the W7 machines have any effect on your issue?

Reaction score
well finally figured it out, here's what appears to be the situation, if anybody knows for sure about the ability to share something under a library please respond.
1. the folder I was attempting to share was under the 'documents' library folder, it seems win7 just does not allow that, even though you can share it in properties, evidently that is just for sharing on the local pc for other users on the pc, if anybody knows this for sure or way to network share under a library or just the 'documents' library please elaborate

2. I created a folder on both my c and d drives that can be mapped to on a xp pro machine.
a. if you give share permissions to the 'everyone' account, you can restrict to read only or give read+write
b. if you remove the 'everyone' account, and give permissions to some other user account, it has to be that user and same password currently logged into the xp machine to get network access, so you need to create the same username+password on both the win7 and xp machine. you can set permissions to read or r+w

that seems to be it. I prefer the xp methodology of setting user accounts with passwords for the shared folder so that when attempted network access, if you are currently logged in to a user with permissions, you get get access automatically. if not, you get prompted for a username/ password to get access at least for that session.

one last thing, there is a new option when you right click a folder, 'share with', it basically leads to the same share dialogue as if you go to the share and permissions tabs in the folder properties. it has an optiob to share with 'nobody' which I guess is to make that easy as opposed to removing everybody else one by one in the folder properties.

I hope this helps anybody else trying to share across the network and thanks to everybody for their suggestions.
bbx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Libraries are merely pointers to an actual folder or folders.

Your documents, assuming all defaults including an install to C: and your login to be bbxrider, should be in C:\Users\bbxrider\My Documents OR C:\Users\bbxrider\Documents

Documents to be shared by all users on the machine should be in C:\Users\All Users\My Documents OR C:\Users\All Users\Documents

Note: I renamed some of my folders and now I can't remember if that was one of them or not so check to see if you have the "My Documents" or just "Documents" for the folder name; you should just have one or the other, not both.

Ask a Question