Any idea what this is

Reaction score
This has only started to happen today. Each time I switch on I get a security message that 192.88.99.1. is trying to access the internet. I have refused this action each time and nothing untoward has occurred. A Google search has not revealed anything specific. I can create a rule not to allow or alternatively to allow this action, but have not done so so far. has anyone any idea what this program is please?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
192.88.99.1 is a special IP address related to IPv6 compatibility.

Reaction score
That has to do with the migration from IP v4 to IP v6.

I would allow it but you should check the issue with your ISP or with your sys admin just to make sure they are really migrating the IP addresses.

Otherwise, you have to reseach a bit more to find the cause for that.

Reaction score
Many thanks.

Virgin say 'don't allow it'.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found that but didn't understand it. Should I allow it access please?
Andsome the biggest question in my mind is what could be the source of this thing? I've never seen it or heard of it before, and nobody seems to know why it would just pop up like that. Since I can't think of any reason to trust it's validity, I guess I'd be pretty suspicious just like you.
I'd tell it NO, till I found a good excuse to do otherwise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Andsome the biggest question in my mind is what could be the source of this thing? I've never seen it or heard of it before, and nobody seems to know why it would just pop up like that. Since I can't think of any reason to trust it's validity, I guess I'd be pretty suspicious just like you.
I'd tell it NO, till I found a good excuse to do otherwise.
Nothing untoward has happened since I disallowed it. Malware scans reveal nothing.

Ask a Question