Another "Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file"

Reaction score
Hello,

I have trouble upgrading my Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium:
After an hour of collecting data and rebooting, setup stops with the message that "Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file". Now I have tried this with two different brand new upgrade DVDs, same result.

Any idea?
I want to avoid the fresh install. Unsing the 3 PC Family Pack.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Ian.

When the setup stops, the rollback does not work. The reboot gives me the choice of Rollback and Vista, choosing Vista presents me with a clean install. searching for the directories that are mentioned in the Windows Setup Log Files article I do not find ANY of these folders on my drive!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What's wrong with the fresh install? It's the best way to go, as long as you have the proper media.

Reaction score
That would be my very last option if the setup is impossible. There are special settings in some programs that I cannot recreate - don't want to go into details.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you bought the family pack from Microsoft, call them and see what they can do to help you. It can't hurt, but there is one thing that is a plain fact. The large majority of those who have troubles stepping up to Windows 7 are those who upgrade by download and by doing a upgrade by disc. The ones who either buy new or do a clean install have the least amount of problems. Since it is a personal matter to you regarding your settings, I respect that. But most things can be backed up for the clean install. Don't give up, there may be a way to pull it off.

Reaction score
Already done that. They do not provide free case to case support, but forwarded me to the MS answers forum. There we got stuck at the same point: unable to find/read the log files...

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Sumukha wrote
There are special settings in some programs that I cannot recreate - don't want to go into details
Any program can be backed up with the right software, I have a program that a good friend made for me (its a one-off) and i keep two backups of it one on a Flash Drive and one on a CD-R.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You mean you buy from them and get no personal support? When did they start this? In February of this year, I got free support for XP Pro. I explained this in another post. The lady spent over an hour on the phone with me for free, although she could have charged me. And you bought 3 OS's from them and get referred to a forum. I'd be on the phone again and again and be emailing over and over. Don't give up, ask to speak to someone higher everytime they try this. That's bulls**t.

Reaction score
You said it: although she could have charged me.
There is no free phone support for the upgrade packages.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I still stick by my word. Buying three new OS's from Microsoft deserves professional support, if only for a limited time. Go all the way to the top if you have to. And by the way, Veedaz works on computers, so one or more of his suggestions may help you. He knows his business, that's how he makes a living. Check out and try his advice.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello,

I have trouble upgrading my Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium:
After an hour of collecting data and rebooting, setup stops with the message that "Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file". Now I have tried this with two different brand new upgrade DVDs, same result.

Any idea?
I want to avoid the fresh install. Unsing the 3 PC Family Pack.

Thanks!
Well, it looks like you're going to have to do a Clean Install! There have been many issues with people upgrading Vista to Windows 7. Especially if there is a ton of programs on the Vista OS. Besides your computer will run much better and faster with the clean install versus an upgrade install.

Just bite the bullet and do it! Yes, you say there are programs with settings you can't remember and you won't go into it in detail.
There are special settings in some programs that I cannot recreate - don't want to go into details.
The discs are not bad, there has been hardly any problems at all with the DVD install discs.

If you have more than one hard drive connected to the motherboard, then disconnect all except the one you want to install the OS to. Once you're done installing the reconnect the hard drives back up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
just when I wanted to give up and do a clean install, I ran the migration wizard. It complained about a invalid user profile (due to a QuickBooks installation). I deleted that profile entry in the registry, and tried again. It worked!!!

Hope this helps other people with that trouble.

Thanks everybody for posting!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad everything worked out for you! Now sit back and enjoy Windows 7.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know anything about MAC, but I've had my taste of Linux "distro's", as they are called. As of November, XP still had 69% of all the OS's share. That's an incredible record for any OS to hold the lead for so long, but that will soon change. In about 1 to 2 years time, Windows 7 will be at the top of the pinnacle and remain so for a long time.

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
just when I wanted to give up and do a clean install, I ran the migration wizard. It complained about a invalid user profile (due to a QuickBooks installation). I deleted that profile entry in the registry, and tried again. It worked!!!

Hope this helps other people with that trouble.

Thanks everybody for posting!
Just to clarify for people finding this thread just which "migration wizard" are you referring too?

Sam

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sam, they're talking about the "Easy Transfer Wizard"

Windows Easy Transfer

Moving to a new PC or installing a new operating system on the one you have is a lot easier with this tool. Windows Easy Transfer will copy your files and settings to an external drive and move them back.

In Windows 7, Windows Easy Transfer lives up to its name. Redesigned to be more reliable and helpful, it takes the hassle out of migrating important files, e-mail, pictures, and settings from your old PC to your new one.

Windows Easy Transfer now includes a new file explorer so you can easily choose exactly which files to copy to your new PC. And if Windows finds a file or setting it can't work with, your transfer won't hang up—it will finish and give you a full report of anything that didn't migrate.

Go HERE for more info!

Last edited:

Ask a Question