all 6 usb devices malfunction at the same time

Reaction score
I have 6 USB ports and for the past 5 days just randomly all malfunction and I get the malfunction error and my computer goes CRAZY with the hardware insert/remove sounds going off every second and DON'T EVER STOP!!! even if I remove all USB devices the hardware insert/remove sound continues to CONSTANTLY go off!!! this will continue to endlessly go off until I do a cold boot!!!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
When was the last time you scanned for malware/viruses with an antivirus (not MSE) and a malware scanner (Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes)?

Update chipset drivers.

Reaction score
when was the last time you scanned for malware/viruses with an antivirus (not mse) and a malware scanner (ad-aware, malwarebytes)?

Update chipset drivers.

why is everybody saying 'not mse' when they say scan for viruses??????

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
why is everybody saying 'not mse' when they say scan for viruses??????
Yeah, I agree with that. While it is not "everybody", sadly there are many - but they are misinformed. Sorry Core.

MSE is a fine anti-malware solution, perfectly capable, easy to use, and of course, the price is right. I and millions of other users have been using MSE for years with no problems. I use it on all my systems with no problems (and no bogging down of resources either) and recommend it highly. That is not to say there are no other perfectly capable anti-malware solutions - there are. But it is to say there's nothing wrong with MSE. A quick look at these respected labs will show (1) MSE is certified and (2) AdAware is not.

Frankly, IMO AdAware is one to avoid. It, along with Spybot S&D used to be the one-two punch against spyware, but that was years ago and far far away. Today, besides not able to get certified at the above labs, it should be noted Lavasoft, the makers of AdAware has been bought out by Solaria, a company (and its owners) known for on-line scams.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/11/lavasoft_has_new_owners/
http://www.scmagazine.com/lavasofts-new-owners-operated-misleading-websites/article/209123/

That said, no anti-malware solution is perfect and the advice to scan for malware is sound and pertinent. Everyone should have one or two supplemental scanners on hand to verify all is good, and also for false positive verifying. I like Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) and/or SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

As far as your USB issues, I would disconnect them all and reboot and see what happens as you connect your devices one at a time. Also, you can go into the device properties and set the Device Policies to "Quick removal" if not already. This disables write caching so you can remove the device without going through the Safely Remove Hardware steps. I would do that for your USB storage devices.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with that. While it is not "everybody", sadly there are many - but they are misinformed. Sorry Core.

MSE is a fine anti-malware solution, perfectly capable, easy to use, and of course, the price is right. I and millions of other users have been using MSE for years with no problems. I use it on all my systems with no problems (and no bogging down of resources either) and recommend it highly. That is not to say there are no other perfectly capable anti-malware solutions - there are. But it is to say there's nothing wrong with MSE. A quick look at these respected labs will show (1) MSE is certified and (2) AdAware is not.

Frankly, IMO AdAware is one to avoid. It, along with Spybot S&D used to be the one-two punch against spyware, but that was years ago and far far away. Today, besides not able to get certified at the above labs, it should be noted Lavasoft, the makers of AdAware has been bought out by Solaria, a company (and its owners) known for on-line scams.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/11/lavasoft_has_new_owners/
http://www.scmagazine.com/lavasofts-new-owners-operated-misleading-websites/article/209123/

That said, no anti-malware solution is perfect and the advice to scan for malware is sound and pertinent. Everyone should have one or two supplemental scanners on hand to verify all is good, and also for false positive verifying. I like Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) and/or SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

As far as your USB issues, I would disconnect them all and reboot and see what happens as you connect your devices one at a time. Also, you can go into the device properties and set the Device Policies to "Quick removal" if not already. This disables write caching so you can remove the device without going through the Safely Remove Hardware steps. I would do that for your USB storage devices.
Actually I don't have a problem with MSE; I use it as my primary antivirus solution (or rather its Windows 8 implementation, Windows Defender) and am satisfied with its performance in every respect. However, many people think a good antivirus tool means you don't need a malware scanner, and in some rare cases one antivirus may detect something another one doesn't. I recommended using a different antivirus - and a malware scanner - because Moltres continues to have inexplicable and, to my knowledge, unresolved problems (drivers misbehaving, documents disappearing altogether) which typically could be the result of an infection. At this stage I am just not satisfied that his system is in fact clean and that running MSE and nothing else would suffice to ensure it.

Please let's not use this thread to discuss which is the best antivirus, there are many other existing threads where that can be debated.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I recommended using a different antivirus - and a malware scanner - because Moltres continues to have inexplicable and, to my knowledge, unresolved problems (drivers misbehaving, documents disappearing altogether) which typically could be the result of an infection.
Sorry, but "continues to have problems" and "different antivirus" confuses me. Looking back through his recent posts, including this one, I don't see mention of MSE, or problems related to a failure of any anti-malware solution. Maybe I am missing something. :confused:

Please let's not use this thread to discuss which is the best antivirus, there are many other existing threads where that can be debated.
I agree 100%. I responded because you made a point of saying "not MSE" without a reason for segregating it out. Perhaps I misinterpreted that too, but that suggested to me you had a problem with MSE and were advising folks not use it. Thanks for the clarification.

That said, we are in complete agreement to ensure the system is clean by using a capable secondary, on-demand solution - to ensure the primary anti-malware solution didn't let something slip by.

I recommended using a different antivirus - and a malware scanner
There may be some confusion there too as there really is no such thing as an antivirus scanner anymore. There used to be anti-virus programs, and anti-Trojan programs, and anti-spyware programs and anti-this and anti-that. But in recent years, the term "malware" has come to include viruses, Trojans, spyware, worms, and just about any other "malicious software". And since the process of scanning a computer for malicious code is the same, whether looking for a worm, Trojan, virus or spyware using multiple, real-time scanners running at the same time was pointless, and often resulted in conflicts. I use the "two dogs watching the same bone" analogy. One not sure what the other is up to with that "critical asset".

So whether it be AVG, Avira, Avast, McAfee, MSE, Norton, MBAM, SuperAntispyware, or whatever, they all are anti-malware programs. None specialize in just viruses or just spyware anymore - that I am aware of anyway.

We now we await to see what's up with the USB ports.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Sorry, but "continues to have problems" and "different antivirus" confuses me. Looking back through his recent posts, including this one, I don't see mention of MSE, or problems related to a failure of any anti-malware solution. Maybe I am missing something. :confused:
In this thread, he mentions running MSE and it not detecting anything. Skipping past the way the thread quickly degenerated into an argument about which antivirus is the best, he never got back to the people who posted to help as to whether he tried any of the suggestions to fix his issue, or if it got solved in the end. This has been a continuing theme with his posts: asking for help, ignoring the advice, and not getting back with any information as to whether the issue has been resolved or not. Therefore I have to assume that he hasn't tried any other A/V, and that his previous problems continue, which all point to an infection or massive hardware issues. I'd like to make sure the more obvious cause is eliminated first.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Okay. I understand. Thanks. I did not go back to July to check - though not sure I would connect July to Oct - but then we don't know all that has happened in between.

Ask a Question