Adminstrator rights

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

i wanna know if I'm logged in with the id which got all the admin rights why on installing/uninstalling/deleting/accessing/making changes etc to a file/folder gives an error: Access Denied. It seems you don't have the all the rights to make changes to this file. Log in as Administrator or Contact your admin.??? Why in the world my OS can recon me as the admin when I'm the admin & logged in as Admin??? :mad:

Reaction score
Run this in the command prompt:

Thnx Cyril for that lighting response but still my question not answered Why doesn't damn all Windows OS this same issue?? What can 1 do more then logging in as the Admin & still asked to be logged in as 1 again, that's 1 of the freaky damn feature they have never got straight....:mad:

Reaction score
Getting system error 5: access denied....Now what????????? :-(

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Um... What kind of user account does Windows show for your account? Admin, Limited?

Reaction score
You gotta tell me how to check that because its been ages since i have done that & i'm bad at memories....

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Control Panel > User Accounts > Deepak

There should be something under your name and photo.

Reaction score
That's what i thought & i did checked the same well it shows as Administrator..but doesn't say anywhere whether its Limited or ????

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Um... That's strange. Windows shouldn't anything...
Try running in Administrator Mode.

Reaction score
Boy now I know safe mode,different types of safe mode,XP mode but what's an admin mode....Sorry Cyril little bad with memories have done all this during ancient times but now all brain cells are rusted....Hope you don't mind... :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Just right click on the app, and select "Run as administrator" ;)

Reaction score
I know that's strange it this always has been the case even with Win2k,98,XP & now Win7....for eg if try to delete WIndows.old folder it'll tell me that i need admin permission to do so....That's not strange but its Weird... ;-)

Reaction score
Just right click on the app, and select "Run as administrator" ;)

Ok that what you call the admin mode....i do that while installing any new program but how to go about deleting file..:confused:..1 can't everytime go to properties of the file take the rights of an admin when i'm the admin
...Does that make sense...i can understand while installing programs you need admin rights due to security reasons but what about deleting files even changing name like eg Explorer.exe....Damn irritating :mad:

Reaction score
But did running as admin work?

No not all the time...again another live eg: Windows.old folder is still there with some old XP .dll files & i can't seem to be able to delete them & error i get is "you don't have all the rights. Log in as admin or contact admin"...:eek:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Easiest way is to add Take Ownership to mine and Fire Cats favourite tool, the Context Menu!!

Here's a .reg file.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\TakeOwnership]
@="Take Ownership"
"HasLUAShield"=""
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\TakeOwnership\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\TakeOwnership]
@="Take Ownership"
"HasLUAShield"=""
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\TakeOwnership\command]
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\TakeOwnership]
@="Take Ownership"
"HasLUAShield"=""
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\TakeOwnership\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\TakeOwnership]
@="Take Ownership"
"HasLUAShield"=""
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\TakeOwnership\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\TakeOwnership]
@="Take Ownership"
"HasLUAShield"=""
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\TakeOwnership\command]
Recommend never to use it on your C: or System Drive. Not unless you have your install discs handy (Weird things happen!).

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
By default, even administrators are not the owners of the system files. There is an Administrator Userid which by default does not have logon privileges but is the owner of everything. So there are two options - you modify the Administrator account to allow you to log on as that ID which IS the owner or you run the Take Ownership script as has been mentioned.

If you are the one and only user on your machine then you may also want to set User Account Control (UAC) to off so you don't get the questions "Do you want to run this with administrator privileges?"

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The easiest way to delete the Windows.old folder is with the help of the built-in "Disk cleanup" program.

If you are still having problems logging as as the "Global" Administrator, There are a couple of ways:

Open a command prompt (Run as Administrator).
Type the following command and enter.
net user administrator /active (You may have tried this from the previous post suggestion - The "Yes" is not required?)
Log out and see if you have a new alternative login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.

Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the same command net user administrator /active
Log out and log back in as administrator.
Failing those, Yet Another way

Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2.
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
Now log out and login as Administrator.
It is said that the action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc. Most hackers will get intoi your computer through a user account anyway.
I (together with many others at the same time) wrote the attached for Vista in its Beta days. In the Zip is a "take ownership program".and, important, another smaller one to reverse the procedure.
I have not tried the other one in this thread, so cannot comment. It may also have a reverse procedure in it. The one attached here is considerably smaller and works 100% with Windows 7.
Run the reg and say yes to the warning. This will give you a right click option on any program to "Take Ownership."
It will still not give you entire rights to some system folders/files. This must be done manually.through the security options.

View attachment 1760

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thnx dave that's using the TakeOwnership.zip seems to be much easier then other suggested in your post. I got a question on "Go to Start > Type Control UserPasswords2 " which user account does this command refer to my own & single account or any other account other then mine?

Ask a Question