Administrator privileges

Reaction score
When I set up my computer, I did not create a login. My wife and I are the only 2 using the computer. I do have administrator rights but every time I load software I have to click OK when the desktop goes faint and a message comes up that tells me that I have to have administrator priveleges to load the software. I click on OK and it loads fine. This is only a little annoying but I would like to set up another account that we can use normally and then have my current account as administrator where I wouldn't have to click on OK every time I want to load software. How do I do this?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You can create new accounts in Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety.

To get rid of the window-dimming feature and pop-ups confirming every time you run an application, go to Control Panel/User Accounts.../User Accounts, click on Change User Account Control Settings, and use the slider to adjust to your preferred setting. To get rid of these nags, slide it all the way down. Confirm changes and exit.

Be mindful that disabling the UAC is not recommended. Its purpose is to protect your system by not allowing the execution of applications by the user without confirmation. Please do not misunderstand my giving you these instructions as a recommendation that you follow them.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm tired of a computer asking me what I want to do everytime I decide to do something. I don't need it's opinion.

While the computer is good at many things, it doesn't take the place of the common since thought process that we all are born with.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, as Core mentioned this confirmation screen is "User Account Control". It was put in place so that a malicious script or program couldn't install programs or alter the system files on your computer without your knowledge. You can set UAC down all the way to never notify & never request permission.

Your idea of creating an installation account might be a great idea so you have the protection day-to-day but then when doing a lot of installs you use the account with UAC disabled ... or you can simply lower UAC when installing and then turn it back up for normal use.

Ask a Question