Activate any time upgrade licence after rtm install

Reaction score
:hmpf:
Hi everyone,

WILL I BE ABLE TO ACTIVATE ANY TIME UPGRADE LICENCE KEY AFTER FORMAT AND FRESH INSTALL WITH RTM DVD ???

I have got Desktop PC, I previosly upgraded to W7 Ultimate with AnyTime Upgrade Licence Key (electronic download + i own/have got the key).
Some time after that I have deleted the Recovery Partition, so there is not Return Back to manifacturer build in order to do Upgrade again.
Now I need to Format the disc and do Fresh/Clean Install.
I own W7 Full RTM DVD Media too, which is Installed and Activated on my laptop.
I would like to use this RTM DVD to format the Desktop PC disc I to perform Fresh/Clean Install.
But I am afraid IF I will be able to activate it again will my AnyTime Upgrade Licence Key.
Because it will not be a Upgrade but formated disc and fresh/clean install.

Thanks in advance to everyone write something about it here!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
nedywest71, welcome to the forum! I have an Anytime Upgrade for 7 Pro installed myself. Regardless of how you reinstall you system (clean install, reinstall disc, or recovery partition), the serial number (COA#) of it has to be the same as it was prior to the upgrade. The Anytime Upgrade key is tied to that COA#.

Hope this helps to answer your question. Should you need further assistance, post back.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Thanks catilley1092,

Yes I will try to activated on the same PC as first activation (the same key, the same COA#).
But my worries are that I have to format the drive.And my plans are to use my Full RTM Disc to Reinstall, as I no longer have Recovery Partition.
Probably Install from Full RTM Disc (W7 Ultimate) will have some files install that shows install is from Full RTM DVD (W7 Ultimate) but not Upgrade FROM W7 Home Premium (to W7 Ultimate).

Thanks again!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you're going to reinstall from a retail disc, you do want to format your drive, as simply installing a new OS over the old one without formatting the drive may lead to problems. I've never done a install and not formatted, so I don't know all of the problems that may arise. But it's recommened to do so. Even when you choose the recovery option, using your recovery partition, it formats the disc, prior to the reinstall.

Hopefully, everything will go smooth for you, and your Anytime Upgrade key will work out fine. Post back and let us know how things work out.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Probably Install from Full RTM Disc (W7 Ultimate) will have some files install that shows install is from Full RTM DVD (W7 Ultimate) but not Upgrade FROM W7 Home Premium (to W7 Ultimate).
Do the full install with the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD and then try the key you used to get the upgrade with and see if it works. It more than likely will work, if not call MS Tech Support explain the situation and they'll probably do a phone activation for you then.

When doing a full install it's best to delete all previous partitions and then create new ones. I usually make about a 64GB (65536 MB) partition for the OS and the rest of the hard drive is a big partition for downloads, files, docs, etc.

Good Luck!

Ask a Question