64 bit to 32 bit

Reaction score
I am currently running vista home premium 64 bit. I want to upgrade to windows 7 but a 32 bit edition because many programs I want to run will not work on a 64 bit processor. Is this possible? And if so can I just upgrade or do I have to reformat?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am currently running vista home premium 64 bit. I want to upgrade to windows 7 but a 32 bit edition because many programs I want to run will not work on a 64 bit processor. Is this possible? And if so can I just upgrade or do I have to reformat?
Nearly all of your existing x86 (32bit) programs will work on the x64 Win 7 OS. The x86 programs will automatically be put into a "Program Files (x86)" folder when you install them.

Have you verified that the many programs you want to run will not run on Windows 7 x64 OS?

If you still want to run a x86 OS, you'll have to do a clean install as Windows 7 will not let you downgrade from x64 to x86. If you decide to install the x64 version, which I highly recommend, be sure to do it as a clean install. You'll have less problems that way.

Ask a Question