64 bit home to 32 bit pro

Reaction score
The computer I have bought is running on Windows 7 home 64bit, but as I wanted Windows 7 Pro they have sent me a 32bit upgrade disc. Is this going to cause any problems?

Reaction score
Hey.

You will not be able to keep your old programs installed. You will have to do a clean install as upgrading between architectures is not possible. Better to contact Microsoft and tell them of your situation if you're not willing to reset the computer from scratch.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

First of all, what are your specs? You might be better off staying 64bit.

If you do change, you'll have to do a clean install, but the key you allready have isn't valid for Pro.
Why are you going 32bit? It would be cheaper to upgrade to pro 64bit.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The computer I have bought is running on Windows 7 home 64bit, but as I wanted Windows 7 Pro they have sent me a 32bit upgrade disc. Is this going to cause any problems?
Did they send you a new product key along with the 32 bit Windows 7 Pro Upgrade disc?

IF they did you can download the 64 bit Window 7 Pro ISO image and burn it to a blank DVD and then go from there.

You can download it here: https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

You would have to have a new product key to do this though.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Even if they sent you the same -bit OS you cannot use upgrade discs and save your current info, only an Anytime Upgrade allows moving up w/in 7 versions w/o reinstall, and Anytime is strictly 32 to 32 or 64 to 64.

I don't know why you would want to go 32bit unless you have some old hardware/software you cannot update and will not run/does not have 64-bit drivers. If they furnished you with a Win 7 Pro product key then it is valid on 32 OR 64 bit.

If you want to install the 64bit Pro, rather than the 32 you can download it, but you will need to do a fresh install using your PRO product key.
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, the Anytime Upgrade is the fastest & easiest way to upgrade from one version of Windows 7 to the other, provided you stay 64 bit. Your files are not affected, and the whole process takes less than 10 minutes. I upgraded from Home Premium to Pro in this manner, and have zero problems with it.

This same program is available with Vista, although when I looked at it, the price to the next level was higher than it is in 7. I can't remember the exact price, but it was a lot higher than the $89 it takes to move from Home Premium to Pro in 7.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Just remember that going from 32 bit to 64 bit or 64 bit to 32 bit that a clean install is necessary. No way around that one.

Reaction score
32-bit is legacy, no point going to it unless your programs predate the Cold War.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The Cold War ended in 1991. The first 32bit capable Windows was 3.11 which came out after 1992 (source Wiki) but Win 95 was when most people would have gotten their first taste of 32-bit.

15+ years is still a long time, go 64-bit, just to make AK smile.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
64-bit and never looked back. If a program doesn't run on 64-bit, I forget about it. Always look to the future.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
32-bit is legacy, no point going to it unless your programs predate the Cold War.
I would say 16 bit is legacy, 32 bit still has some life in it, but not much longer.

Better read up on your history, Buckaroo!

Reaction score
Hello lynn,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
John, I'm curious, do you have hotkeys set up to paste your answers or do you copy and paste them all from a script?

If it's one thing I hate it is when I contact support and I get cookie cutter canned help. :thefinger:

Last edited:

Ask a Question