32 bit windows 7 - old software

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 pro but apparently my processor won't support XP mode. If I get the 32 bit version will it run the old programs like Foxprow 2.6. Also, if I get the 32 bit version, will it prevent me from having to change my drivers. Would I be better off just changing back to XP. I have a 64 bit processor.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
llewellen, welcome to the fourms! First of all, you would not be better off going back to XP over a single program, unless it's a part of your career, and you rely on it for a living. If that's your situation, you should switch back. What you can do is install XP inside of a VM to run your older programs on. There's an excellent one at File Hippo, go down to the lower left corner, under Developer Tools, the latest version of VM Player is there. Download it and install it just as you would with any other program. You will need a XP or Win 2K install disc with a vaild COA, to give you an OS to install within it. It functions as a PC within a PC, you don't have to add a ton of programs to it, but you can install what you need. Plus you need to install an anti-virus in it, too. This should meet your needs for your program to run. There's no need to downgrade your computer over a single program. 64 bit technology is no longer the future, it's today! It's far superior over 32 bit for more than one reason. But the most obvious one is on a 32 bit computer, you have access to only 3GB RAM, it doesn't matter if you have 8GB. With 64 bit, you can use as much RAM as your system configuration will allow. 4GB is considered a happy medium, some has 6GB and a few has 8GB. But in order for you to access this RAM, you must have 64 bit installed. If you have any questions about the VM or need further advice as to your inquiry, feel free to post back. That's what we're here for, to help one another.

Reaction score
catilley 1092 - Thanks for your help. I ran program that supposed to tell you whether your processor will support xp mode. It said mine will not. Will the vm software you recommended still work. Also do you have any suggestions for anti virus program. Thanks.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
catilley 1092 - Thanks for your help. I ran program that supposed to tell you whether your processor will support xp mode. It said mine will not. Will the vm software you recommended still work. Also do you have any suggestions for anti virus program. Thanks.
Yes it will still work, provided you have at least 3GB RAM (64 bit) or 2GB RAM (32 bit). The reason for this is that your "host" OS (Windows 7) has to "lend" some RAM (usually 512MB) for the VM to properly work, while you still have to keep enough RAM for Windows 7 to run. You cannot allow your RAM for Windows to drop below the minimum amount required, or performance will greatly suffer. You do need to install an AV within the VM, Avast 5.0 and MSE are free options, and I highly recommend a on demand scanner such as Malwarebytes (they have a free version), and use it at least once a week. Should you need further assistance on this issue, please post, and I'll get back with you as soon as I can.

Reaction score
Thanks alot. I really appreciate your help. I will let you know how this turns out.

Reaction score
I tried the VMPlayer with XP. It seems to have disabled my wireless network. It seems like it changed my driver. I uninstalled the vmplayer and it started working again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I tried the VMPlayer with XP. It seems to have disabled my wireless network. It seems like it changed my driver. I uninstalled the vmplayer and it started working again. Any suggestions? Thanks.
If you're in Virtual Mode with XP you probably have to have an XP driver for the wireless network card installed in that mode.

Reaction score
I wasnt in Virtual mode when I had the problem. I had gone back to regular mode. I don't know if I would have had a problem in Virtual mode because I never tried that after I had the other problem. Thanks for your help.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I never had that problem. Did you click to proceed with every request during the install of VM Player? llewellen, I have another answer for you. It doesn't require you to have your own install disc, you will get a free copy of Windows XP Pro that's pre-activated. I'm going to skip the long description. At the face of the forum page, there's a black bar with links to various things. Click Search, type "Studio MS vs 64 bit" w/o the quotes. Be sure to select "threads", there's a choice to select threads or posts. Look about 2 or 3 threads down, there it is. Click onto it, my post will be the third link down. Follow the instructions regarding VMLite. This program runs good on my laptop. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please post back. I check the forum a few times daily, and will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Some VM's do this, VMPlayer is the worst for it. You may wish to consider Sun's VM. The current edition is 3.1.4. It's better designed than VMPlayer by VMWare. I've used both, and Sun has the better product. Naturally, if you can afford one of the paid ones, it would perform better, and you would have professional support.

Ask a Question