32 bit software on Windows 7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i am new to windows 7 just installing it on vmware at windowsXP 64 bit system
i have question that unlike previous version (windows xp/2003/2008) of 64 bit this windows 7 also has problem of installing 32 bit software on 64 bit architecture or it was removed.
i am facing probelm on windows 2003/XP/2008 of 64 bit that i am installing a api (DLL-text-api) via installing a 32 bit software. but it wont work at 64 bit system but 32 bit it work fine.
i also i try it in vba program (VBA program is using that api effieciently at 64 bit) but my vb.net application could not find it when i try to import.

the error is -
An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E82A4C8E-7CBA-11D3-8D90-005004561FA5} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

can any one help me in this

not only windows 7 but if it will work on windows 2008/2003/xp on 64 bit then i am able to work ferther...

i am using 64 bit machine with windows xp (physical machine) and windows 2003/2008 (two virtual machine on vmware). try to developed vb.net application with MSVS2008 and MS SQL server 2008. and a 32 bit API which is installed in system32(if 32 bit system) or syswow64(if 64 bit system) folder. one installed program which installed this api for it internal purpose will use this api without any error at 64 bit system too but i am not able to find it from syswow64/ folder via vb.net (vba program can also use this api from syswow64/) as i am referenceing this api from syswow64. when referencing it will take a interop file in my vb.net bin/ folder also at VS editor windows show its objects and classes when writing code but when debug its give above error at declaration object of api classes
like - it show error at this line(which is the first line of code-
dim a as new edp

can any one help me in this (the vb.net same program will run at 32 bit system successfully)

Please

Reaction score
Your question is overly complicated, that's why you are not getting any responses.

Win 7 CAN run many 32 apps, but with some of them you need to Install & Run them as Administrator and with Compatibility Mode (like XP) enabled.
Also install the app to Program Files instead of Program Files x86.

Reaction score
Why would you not want to install 32 bit apps to the x86 folder

I would have guessed this folder was for the 32 bit apps
Yes you are right.
This 'might - might not work' suggestion was in the monthly MSDN Developers Newsletter (Sept. I think). They said the permissions granted each directory are different, with i86 folder being more restricted. So installing to Program Files MAY help with problematic 32 bit apps.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As Ripose says!
But I also have a query. Are you really short of disk space? I cannot understand why you would want to install Windows 7 in VmWare. Why not create another partition and do a proper install? I also agree with Clifford. There are absolutely no benefits in installing the 32 bit apps in the 74 bit folder. I am not sure if it would even work 100% as the OS might be confused with the unconventional paths.
The remainder of your post, concerning VBA, is difficult to decipher, sorry.

Reaction score
64 bit

Thanks you all for your replies

but i solved that problem in my exe. i am now using ms vs 2010 and this will no need to do any extra effort and run without any problem in exe's
but same problem with web pages becuase my exe's in 2010 does not show me interop file (in previous VS version when compiling exe interop file is created from my edp-api.dll) but when compiling web (.apsx) pages in .net environment it give no error and debug successfully(in debug it run very well using edp -api with interop file) but when i am direct run(means after creating setup then installing it on same machine -windows xp 64 bit) it give same error on pages which uses that edp-api(or interop).
error is-----------------------------------------
Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E82A4C8E-7CBA-11D3-8D90-005004561FA5} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E82A4C8E-7CBA-11D3-8D90-005004561FA5} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E82A4C8E-7CBA-11D3-8D90-005004561FA5} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).]
changeTable..ctor() +349
ASP.changetable_aspx..ctor() +50
__ASP.FastObjectFactory_app_web_tmf0e5go.Create_ASP_changetable_aspx() +72
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +360
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) +47
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +616
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +159
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +347

------------------------

i am using vmware(windows 7 64 bit) only because i need to test my application on every windows based OS and have only two physical machine available for me. i also installed and run it on physical machine(windows xp 64 bit) same result.

i am also trying to install edp-api in program files folder (instead of program files x86 folder) but same result

Last edited:
Reaction score
the error is -
An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E82A4C8E-7CBA-11D3-8D90-005004561FA5} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

Please
I had this same error, when trying to start a VM ware session in code, using the Vetris.VMWareLib.

You get the error when the project that uses the Vetris.VMWareLib has Platform target set to"AnyCpu". When you change that to x86 AND change it to x86 in all the projects that call the first project, the error goes away...

Hope this saves somebody some time... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question