32-bit installation over 64-bit install

Reaction score
I'm upgrading a piece of business equipment and this requires that I upgrade my laptop as well. Specs requirements for running the new hardware require the speed and agility of a gaming comp. The manufacturer also stipulates that the OS must be 32-bit and recommends Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

The DV i7 comp I want to buy runs on 64-bit. It seems like ALL speedy, agile comps are running on 64-bit. So...what is the very best way to get a speedy, high tech comp and a 32-bit OS happening for me.

MUST I buy a full license or can I use an upgrade.

Another little snag...I want the OS to be based in english...and I will be purchasing this comp in Netherlands. Will it cause problems if I install an english OS.

Many thanks,
:confused:

Reaction score
Changing from 64 to 32 bit or vice versa requires a clean install, you can't do it with just an "upgrade".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Dallas Dad

Thanks. I wanted confirmation that it would indeed be possible to do a clean install and have it be okay. The comp is a big investment and I don't want to create problems for myself AND spend a whole lot of money.

I appreciate your reply...

Reaction score
If you know of a reputable shop, you might save some money having them build one. At least you wouldn't have to pay for the OS twice.
That's what I'm considering doing for my next new computer.
Get to choose the processor, video card, memory, HD, plus the OS.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
MUST I buy a full license or can I use an upgrade.
You can use an Upgrade version to do a clean install with, believe me it's been done by lots of users. You'll save money that way too. You can also buy an OEM version which is the least expensive way to go.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you want to keep your 64 bit OS, and satisfy your employer, too, you can setup a dual boot (although you'll need two license keys to do so. I'd hate to give up my 64 bit altogether.

Ask a Question