32-bit Home premium to 64 bit Professional

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a machine that has 32-bit Home Premium preinstalled. Machine does not come with a 64-bit disk/license.

If I want to install 64-bit professional, do I need to go from 32-bit Home premium to 32-bit Professional first before I can upgrade to 64-bit professional or can I do a complete clean install direct to 64-bit professional?

What will happen to all OEM pre-installed programmas on the machine?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a machine that has 32-bit Home Premium preinstalled. Machine does not come with a 64-bit disk/license.

If I want to install 64-bit professional, do I need to go from 32-bit Home premium to 32-bit Professional first before I can upgrade to 64-bit professional or can I do a complete clean install direct to 64-bit professional?

What will happen to all OEM pre-installed programmas on the machine?
Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website - dutchwolf! :ciao:

When going from a 32-bit OS to the 64-bit OS a clean or "custom" install is necessary. It is not possible to do an upgrade from 32 to 64-bit. You WILL lose all the pre-installed software on the machine.

Are you ordering the system via internet online or at a retail store?

If you're ordering online may be you can get the machine with the 64-bit Pro already installed rather than going through the hassle of installing it yourself. If not, then buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 Professional, that will be your least expensive way to go. However, the only issue with an OEM key is that there is no MS tech support because you're the system builder with an OEM license.

If you need more questions answered feel free to post them.

Ask a Question