Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a better idea:

2 x 1,5TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD = 180$

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I agree but this is more about 3TB in a single drive. It 's my understanding that this is a single drive with perhaps 6 500GB or 4 750GB platters.

All things considered the price is pretty much in line with today's external prices and it's brand new so the price will come down soon.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe so...

I'm still going to wait for SSDs to get cheaper, before buying any more storage.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
@yodap - an "exrenal" drive? Does that have anything to do with kidney functions? LOL :eek:

I just had to step on that one! ;)

That Seagate may be using the 6 - 500GB platters. That would be one heavy drive weight wise.

Regarding SSD units; Mushkin has released their "Callisto" series.

Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL60GB-DX 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC

At Newegg for $179.99 w/free shipping! Uses the SandForce controller.

Check out these specs:
  • Up to 50,000 IO Per Second
  • RAID support
  • TRIM support (OS/driver support required)
  • S.M.A.R.T. support
  • Built-in ECC
  • 2.5" to 3.5" adapter included for desktop use
  • User-upgradeable firmware
  • Assembled in the USA
  • Sequential Access - Read up to 285 MB/s
  • Sequential Access - Write up to 275 MB/s
  • MTBF 2,000,000 hours
    • Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
    • Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
@yodap - an "exrenal" drive? Does that have anything to do with kidney functions? LOL :eek:
You caught my first typo ever! :(

That Seagate may be using the 6 - 500GB platters. That would be one heavy drive weight wise
The specs seem verify that. Not big enough for 2- 3.5" drives but very heavy.

Height 158mm (6.22 in)
Width 124mm (4.88 in)
Length 44mm (1.73 in)
Weight (typical) 1080g (2.38 lb)
Shipping Weight 1.080kg (2.381 lb)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You caught my first typo ever!
RIGHT! Abe Lincoln once said something about you can fool some the people some of the time..... LOL!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's way more than I'll need in a lifetime. 500 & 320GB (I have both) is fine for me. You know, just a few short years ago, many of us had 20 & 40GB main drives in our notebooks & PC's. Now, the sky's the limit. It would not surprise me one bit to see a 5TB drive by the end of next year, mabye sooner.

You know, if one had a business, yes I could see all the extra space. But what home user really needs 3TB? Sure, they'll sell, but it's more of a "my thing is bigger than yours" deal. Mine are less than 10% full, and I don't have a total of 1TB.

What I really want to see are those SSD's going into main production, where they can build a 320GB or so one. That would be all I need. Just wait, another 5 or so years, they will get larger, and cost less. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
That's way more than I'll need in a lifetime. 500 & 320GB
I said that once... about two years ago!

Cat - Famous last words. Don't ever say never... because then the "Upgrade" Gremlin visits and you're mystically drawn to new hardware! LOL! :rolleyes:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I'm sure we could use 3TB here ... customers details, accounts, staff details etc and it all has to be backed up so yep would love a 3TB drive ... or two :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I said that once... about two years ago!

Cat - Famous last words. Don't ever say never... because then the "Upgrade" Gremlin visits and you're mystically drawn to new hardware! LOL! :rolleyes:

I never said never, but I did say it was more than I probably would ever need. Personally, I'd rather see an INTERNAL drive of this size, I'd be more apt to buy that. With the compression ratios of backup software, you could use a 2TB as a backup drive to that 3TB, if it were an internal drive. And, that would give you all the room you need for four OS's & some more partitions for storage.

Everything is getting bigger and better all the time!

Ask a Question