SOLVED 217 Error upon startup

Reaction score
When I startup the system (either cold boot or reboot), I get a number of error message boxes. Just have to click them away--no further messages or problems until I restart the computer again. Error messages (in order) follow:

Runtime error 217 at 0040900B
Runtime error 217 at 0018900B
Runtime error 217 at 0021900B
Runtime error 217 at 0012900B
Runtime error 217 at 0014900B

Yes, there are duplicates and they all share "900B"--what might this refer to? I have a brand-new HP Pavilion e9280t 64-bit with 12 gbs of RAM. I do not have Norton Antivirus installed--deleted and replaced with McAfee. Most software programs have been installed to a separate partition--E:\Program Files or E:\Program Files (x86).

As said before, error messages cause no problems, just curious as to what they refer to.

Thanks much!

Reaction score
Thanks--purchased RegCure earlier this week (based on other forum replies). Have run it twice. Still getting the 217 errors.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Was it a clean install or upgrade over an existing OS? Was the OS a retail, "in the box" purchase or a download?

Reaction score
Clean install on new machine. OS already installed (OEM Win 7 Ultimate). First bootup was on Dec 14th with no problems. On Dec 20th (after installing and configuring more than 20 programs), all of my desktop icons and Windows Explorer icons were showing as plain white boxes. Tried to fix by re-booting--nothing worked. Then did a system restore to bring system back to its out-of-the-box state, and started over reinstalling everything. That was when the 217s started showing up at bootup.

Reaction score
217 Problem fixed

It was my fault. I installed an old program that I am very fond of--AllChars--and it was causing the errors. Have spent the last few weeks tweaking and customizing. I am VERY happy with Windows 7.

Everything that I "cannot live without" is working well. (e.g., the old Win98 ClipTray which I use for shopping online and the old MS Office 2000 Shortcut Bar which contains all of the programs that I use in 9 categories--bars--that's running very smoothly along with the MS Office 2010 beta.)

Office beta was installed over--upgrade--MS Office 2007 Ultimate.

The Win 7 taskbar (???) works just like the old Quick Launch bar and is in the same place--drag and drop just like old times.

I think I am done installing this major, major project <fingers crossed with a very big grin!>. Lotta work--several weeks--well worth it all.

LaModiste

Reaction score
...Everything that I "cannot live without" is working well. (e.g., the old Win98 ClipTray which I use for shopping online and the ..

LaModiste
Hello, could you please share how you got cliptray to work with W7?

I am also a fan of it and miss it very badly.

tia

Helmut from Germany

Reaction score
Clip Tray

Hi Tia,

I hope you kept your old Clip Tray folder. I have not "installed" it from the Win98 CD for many, many years--installation is not necessary. The following files are needed:

cliptray.exe (the executable)
cliptray.hlp
cliptray.txt (the text file of the info that you paste)
comdlg32.ocx
msgblast.ocx
vb40032.dll (this file, for me, is 7 yrs younger than the others--???)

These are the instructions that were published for Vista--works exactly the same in Win7:

ClipTray works on Vista! . (Source: www.WhoIsTomMarshall.com)

To Install ClipTray on Windows Vista, copy the files to the desired folder as usual (I use Program Files\ClipTray). Then open an admin command prompt in the same folder and register msgblast.ocx. That's it!

How? Click the start button and then Programs, Accessories, then RIGHT-CLICK "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". Then go to the directory where you installed ClipTray. Finally, register the component by typing "regsvr32 msgblast.ocx" and press the [ENTER] key. You should get a message that the file has been registered.
---------------------
OK--double-click on cliptray.exe and you should see it in the Notification area of the TaskBar (where the old system tray used to be). Make the "ClipTray Executable" one of your startup programs.

Good luck!

BTW, two days ago (I kid you not) I found a replacement for ClipTray that works exactly as it does and IS NOT a bloated, overly complex clipboard extender. It is called CastlePaste. There is a free version, After trying it out for 15 minutes, I bought the Pro version (only $20 USD) Fantastic! I am saying goodbye to my old friend <g>.

Reaction score
Forgot to say

The proper place for a ClipTray folder in Win7 is, of course,
"Program Files (x86)\ClipTray" not Program Files\ClipTray.

Ask a Question