xp to W7 - difference between Upgrade & Full version

fab

Reaction score
My question is what is the difference in what I get when I buy the Windows 7 upgrade package versus the 'full' package.

I know two things at this point.
1. The full package costs $100 more than the upgrade package.
2. I have to have XP installed to use the upgrade.

I believe I'll have to reinstall a lot of purchased programs that I use frequently.

What I am after in my question is whether there are any materials in the full package that are not in the upgrade package. I'm not asking for opinions on whether upgrading has benefits over a clean installation from a 'full' package.

My query stems from my having had bad experiences in past Windows purchases in which I found that additional media were included in some packages and not in others. This has been particularly true with OEM versions and with Windows OS that were included in a bundled Laptop and OS package.

I want to assure that a few years from now, I will actually have all the physical media in hand to fully re-install the OS if I need to do so and not have a lesser featured set than whatever a 'full' package includes.

If anyone knows the story here, I'd appreciate learning it.

thanks,
fab

Reaction score
Hi fab - Welcome to w7forums

There are no differences other than the upgrade requires you to have a previous OS to attach the upgrade license to. The Full version doesn't require you to own a previous Windows license.

Upgrading XP requires a clean install (this can be done with either upgrade or full version)
Upgrading Vista can be an upgrade or clean install. the choice is yours. (Once again this can be done with the upgrade or full version)

Here is a chart that will help with your question. - https://www.w7forums.com/upgrading-your-pc-windows-7-a-t1444.html

Last edited:

fab

Reaction score
So, pardon my being blinkered on this subject but I really want to know I'm getting it right. Do I correctly understand that the materials in the package I get when I buy an upgrade are identically the same as those I get when I buy the so-called full version?

If so, that really makes my uncertainty go away as to which to pay for.

v/r
fab

Reaction score
The only difference is within the way the product is licensed and whether you are bound to show proof you have a previous license through the life of the upgrade install. If you purchase the full version you can forget about all previous versions.

Ask a Question