XP Hearts to Windows 7

Reaction score
Is there a way to download the Hearts game found in Windows XP Pro 32-Bit to play in Windows 7 Pro 32-Bit? Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Wittyservant7 - Welcome to w7forums

Do you not like the Hearts game that comes with Windows 7?

Reaction score
Evidently it was not installed by the installer.

Do you not like the Hearts game that comes with Windows 7?[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Programs and Features
or
Control Panel >> Programs >> Programs and Features

then look to the left side
Turn Windows Features on or off

The very first option is games. Make sure that Hearts has a check in the box beside the name under games. Or simply place a check beside games to install all of them.

Once installed there will be a link to Hearts in the start menu.
Start Menu >> All Programs >> Games >> Hearts

Reaction score
Programs

I found hearts...yeah!! I did not install Windows myself. There were other things in Programs that did not have a check and I was wondering if everything should have a check. Windows 7 is so much different than Windows XP. How would I know what things in Programs should have a check? Thanks again of helping me with Hearts.

Reaction score
How would I know what things in Programs should have a check?
As long as you can do everything you want, there is no need in making changes. As far as the other settings, I would not mess with them until you find a need in making a change. By then maybe you will know you need to make the change and which changes need to be done.

Reaction score
Evidently it was not installed by the installer.

[/QUOTE]

Actually they aren't installed by default. I found this out when I tried to play some of the default games. None of them were installed.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
What I do in this kind of case, is import the game from XP to 7. I just copy the game sources and put them on the other computer. Because of the newer OS, there is no compatibility problems.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
What I do in this kind of case, is import the game from XP to 7. I just copy the game sources and put them on the other computer. Because of the newer OS, there is no compatibility problems.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Do you know where I would find those files? Thanks again for your help

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you know where I would find those files? Thanks again for your help
Go to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msheart.exe
Copy that .exe file to your Windows 7 machine and make a link to it in the games. Though, If I were you, I wouldn't do it, because you might still have problems with missing dll's. It crashes on my machine after about 5 mins of playing. Just stay with the one in WIndows 7 or download one from the internet.

Cheers,
Fire cat

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Actually they aren't installed by default. I found this out when I tried to play some of the default games. None of them were installed.[/QUOTE]"

Metalmania and Witty.
Did you follow the method in Clifford's second post?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Cheers,
Fire Cat
You don't need to import any games from XP, all the games are there once you check the box next to games as c_c stated.

Reaction score
Hey guys, not wanting to resurrect an old thread but was wondering if there was a solution to the thread title.

My parents like to play the games in order. In windows XP you could select what game number you wanted to play. They would complete 1 and then move onto the next, keeping track of what games they had completed. With Windows 7 I can't seem where to find the game selection function.

Was it taken out?

If so, is it at all possible to install an XP version of the game so that they can continue on their merry way of playing and completing each game?

Thanks in advance

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If they have Professional or Ultimate you can download Virtual PC - XP mode and run the XP hearts there. If you still have XP OS discs there are other virtual environments available for any W7 version. See Virtualization in the Freeware software DB

Reaction score
RE: don't like Windows 7 Hearts

Looks like this string is dead, but I did want to comment on the Win 7 version of hearts.In answer to your question, I for one do not like this version of hearts, and have copied my XP version to my laptop. The win 7 version of Hearts stinks, as do many other aspects of win 7. The win 7 version it is too slow, and I have not been able to figure out how to speed it up as I am able to with the XP version on my PC. You are required to click after every card is played, and this can be a real pain, especially when you have a touch or arthritis.

As for Win 7... I just do not understand why someone had to go and reinvent the wheel. Many of the features of windows has changed and with it created unnecessary frustration. Maybe this is not the proper forum to vent, so I won't. A nice day to all.

Rupe

Reaction score
I just do not understand why someone had to go and reinvent the wheel
The operating system is not being re-invented, it being improved and so is the wheel. Manufactures are changing the height, width, tread pattern, and many other features of wheels everyday. Just because someone doesn't like the tracks that the wheel makes, doesn't mean the wheel has not been improved. This can also be said for the operating system. I myself don't like a few changes, but that doesn't mean its not for the best.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe this whole thread actually was started over "internet hearts". Internet hearts was dropped from Windows 7 completely and the original OP just wanted to import the old XP version.

Microsoft did however rewrite Internet Spades and in the process they screwed it up. It has numerous faults which cause server errors and you loose the game you are in. It also has a scoring error which can be quite confusing: if one partner goes nil but takes a trick or two and the other partner bids tricks but fails to make his bid, then if the sum of the tricks taken totals to the partners bid then the computer scores it a successful bid and displays the incorrect score. Example: I bid nil, my partner bids 5 but I take 1 and he gets only 4; then the score should be -150 but instead the score displayed is -100 + 50 = -50. Internally the score is actually maintained correctly as -150, only what everyone sees is wrong so weird things seem to happen such as the game being over at -100 instead of -200 or it not ending till 600 when it should end at 500; the fact is it is correct but the scores actually displayed make it confusing and frustrating.

So essentially when they tried to improve this wheel they made it elliptical ... it still goes around in circles but it sux to drive.

Reaction score
XP Hearts to Windows 7 64/32

Make a folder called Hearts.
On an XP machine copy mshearts.exe and cards.dll and paste inside the Hearts folder.
Transfer Hearts folder to Windows 7 machine.
Rightclick mshearts.exe and select properties.
Under compatibility, choose XP sp3 option and save.

The new version asks you to save the game, which you can not turn off... just another annoying popup. I don't need glowing cards and there is a real lag once cards have been put out to next round - even with all options disabled. Windows 95 had the best version, you could play against your kids over local lan. That was fun. Sometimes "improvements" need to stop. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Reaction score

I wouldn't want to play because Windows 7 Hearts cheats! I have proved it. Yesterday, I was in the home-stretch to shoot the moon. I had garnered all but the J Hearts. I led with the Q Spades on the last trick, and North (read: Windows 7) stole the trick with that J! Come on... The game is called "Hearts" not "Spades" (and it CHEATS!)

Ask a Question