Wrong Network Icon in system tray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi, i am connect to internet by LAN network correctly but the network icon show disconnect!

click image to large.

i try dial-up and wireless internet connection, and have same problem with them.

please help me...
thanks.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There's times where I don't have internet connection and it still shows the "monitor" without the red "X" sometimes. It should go away, it's a cached version of the image that you're seeing from when you didn't have internet connection and it was trying to find one I believe. How long has this been like that?

Try rebooting and it should go back to normal if it really bothers you.

Reaction score
i have internet.

no!
i have internet and i can surf internet. every thing is ok except the icon near the clock. (see image)

8 month ago i install this win7.
last week until now, have this problem.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Do you have two NIC's on the PC? It's possible that Windows 7 is showing the disconnected status for another NIC not currently in use.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to re-set the system tray icons, see if that clears it up.

Save this code as a .reg file
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify]
"IconStream"=-
"PastIconsStream"=-
Run the reg file then re-start your PC. Note that this will re-set all the System Tray icons display settings, so any you have set (to hide for example) will need re-setting.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
no!
i have internet and i can surf internet. every thing is ok except the icon near the clock. (see image)

8 month ago i install this win7.
last week until now, have this problem.
That's what I meant, but all I needed was the time that you've been dealing with the problem. Elmer BeFuddled has a good solution, sometimes notification icons disappear and that solution does solve the issue half of the time.

Reaction score
I'd be tempted to re-set the system tray icons, see if that clears it up.

Save this code as a .reg file
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify]
"IconStream"=-
"PastIconsStream"=-
Run the reg file then re-start your PC. Note that this will re-set all the System Tray icons display settings, so any you have set (to hide for example) will need re-setting.
Unfortunately, this solution did not solve my problem.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try running this as a .cmd file:
Note: Requires Reboot

Code:
@echo off
cls
set regPath=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
set regKey1=IconStreams
set regKey2=PastIconsStream

echo The Explorer process must be killed to reset the Notification Area Icons Cache. 
echo Please SAVE ALL OPEN WORK before continuing
echo.
pause

echo.
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
echo.
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('Reg Query "%regpath%" /v %regkey1% ^| find /i "%regkey1%"') do goto iconstreams
echo Registry key "IconStreams" already deleted.
echo.

:verify-PastIconsStream
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('Reg Query "%regpath%" /v %regkey2% ^| find /i "%regkey2%"') do goto PastIconsStream
echo Registry key "PastIconsStream" already deleted.
echo.
goto confirm-restart

:iconstreams
reg delete "%regpath%" /f /v "%regkey1%"
goto verify-PastIconsStream

:PastIconsStream
reg delete "%regpath%" /f /v "%regkey2%"

:confirm-restart
echo.
echo Windows must be restarted to finish resetting the Notification Area Icons. 
echo.
echo Restart now? (Y/N) and press Enter: 
set /p choice=
If %choice% == y goto restart
echo.
echo Restart aborted...please close this window 
explorer.exe

:restart
shutdown /r /t 0
exit

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Don't worry, EmRa. It was safe and did the job it was supposed to, which does not seem to be your problem.
The original is ack to Brink, here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13102-notification-area-icons-reset.html

But your post #5 was not followed up. (Nic?)

Try this:Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Under Network adapters, see what devices are listed.
Are there any that have a red x displayed?
If so, see if you can update the drivers. - Right click - Properties. - Driver tab.

Make sure you do not have both wireless and ethernet running (Which are you using? - Your comment "i try dial-up and wireless internet connection, and have same problem with them.")

If none of this produces results, temporarily disconnect your home network and see if the situation is cleared after a reboot.

Reaction score
@davehc: Thanks for answer.

see image:

i use LAN network.
Wireless is disable.
and i deleted all dial-up / VPN connection.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
OK. You certainly have got everything correct there.

This worked for others:
Type ncpa.cpl into the search box (enter)
Right click on the adapter "Local Area Connection", and select properties.
At the top under the "Connect Using:" box click the configure button.
In the next properties dialog box select the advanced tab (at the top)
In the left column (property): select Speed & Duplex
In the right colum labelled Value: change it from Auto negotiation, to 100 half.

Reboot .

If this still does not work, repeate and change the setting back to the original, to avoid complications!

Reaction score
:)
hurray, i uninstall the intruder adapter and after restart system, it was correct.

see this:

I do not know what it was, you know?

solution: uninstall all extra adapters.:rolleyes:

thanks from all. :ciao:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I dont know what is NIC !

How can I know the number of them?

A NIC is short for "network interface card", it's what the network cable plugs into.

From your screenshot I see you have a disabled wireless adapter. This is why Windows shows the network as disconnected, because it is showing the status for the wireless adapter even though you are using the wired adapter. It is a very common problem with Windows Vista / 7 when multiple adapters are present in the same system.

I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to change which network adapter is displayed in the systray, it's always been one of those little annoying cosmetic issues with Seven/Vista that has never been fixed.

Unless someone knows how, the only option I'm aware of to fix this is to physically remove the wireless adapter from the PC or disable it from within the BIOS. Seven will then default to using the wired adapter's notification icon.

If you want to just HIDE the notification icon, you can remove it that way as well by following this guide: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Remove-icons-from-the-notification-area-system-tray

Still, I am not able to find a solution to change which adapter is shown in the systray... in some cases, Windows will even display multiple network icons in the systray which is even more annoying.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The TAP-Win32 Adapter must have been the default NIC and once you deleted it the system went to the one you are now using (which is what you wanted). Glad you got it worked out.

I have marked this as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question