SOLVED Would Office 2003 run with Windows 7?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I do not want to buy/upgrade another Office. I like office 2003 and would like to keep it. Does anyone knows if office 2003 will run with Win 7?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, Office 2003 will run just fine in Windows 7. It doesn't matter whether the Windows 7 install is x86 or x64, it will run just great!

Reaction score
yes but how do you install this program-i have tried several things and it is not working with windows 7

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I inserted the disk and istalled it with no issues.

What was your problem? Did you get an error while installing? Can you give us more information so we can help you?

Reaction score
i am now receiving a message fatal error when trying to run the program

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Um... Have you tried running as admin and in compatibility mode? That might do it.

Reaction score
Apologies for this thread necromancy as we call it on another forum I am a Moderator on. (Out of deference to the Mods here I will not advertise it)

The reason for dragging this thread up is this.

Currently I am not on Windows 7 for anything. My desktop is Vista Home Premium, my current laptop is Vista Home Basic.

My laptop is now coming to the end of it's useful life and I am looking at having to replace it.

New models now have Windows 7

Today I was told that I can not install any Office 2003 products on a machine with Windows 7.

I have a copy of Office 2007 as well as Office 2003, so for most functions I am told Office 2007 will work. However Front Page was discontinued after Office 2003 and I do still use it for my web work.

Also the version of Office 2007 I got from PC World in 2009 did not have Access on, which I only found out after the fact.:mad:

Luckily my Office 2003 disc has Access, and I installed that

Those are the only two modules from Office 2003 I would want, the rest will come from Office 2007

Is it now the case that I can not have Front Page or Access any more when I procure a new laptop with Windows 7, because Office 2003 is incompatible with Windows 7.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As Nibs mentioned above, 2003 will work in W7. Though if you look over this thread and this thread on FrontPage 2003 some people seem to have issues and you may need to set compatibility settings.

Reaction score
How difficult will that be?

If and When I get to do this, it will be an install from an Office 2003 disc

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Setting compatibility is pretty easy.

• Open Windows Explorer.
  • Right-click on the exe and chose properties.
  • Select Compatibility Tab
  • Check Use Compatibility Mode
  • select Windows XP SP3

compatibility.jpg

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could try a download of MS office 2007. I am not sure that is illegal. Presumably you have a key, which is the legal part. There are numerous sites where this can be done quite openly. For example:

http://www.freedownloadsplace.com/Microsoft-Office-Download-16200.htm

I still have FP 2003 on my windows 7 installation. I believe it was always a standalone program, and came on a separate CD (No.2) if you purchased the full package. It works 100%, but I no longer use it. It is discontinued, as you probably know, and was replaced by Expression, and then Sharepoint Designer, which I now use..
Quite honestly, (imo), FP is so old, I think you might get better satisfaction from one of the free web programs out there.

Ask a Question