Windows Update Error C004F012 (Windows could not search for new updates)

Reaction score
edit (Ian): This thread has been split from an audio drivers topic, as it may be of use to others having C004F012 errors.

When I went to install the x64 drivers, I got a message saying that my Operating System was not compatible, but then it asked me if I wanted to run it under the correct settings, which I did and then it installed. As for the Windows Updates, I tryed to run them and I get "Windows could not search for new updates" and error code C004F012.

Reaction score
Hi Kramer

I think the error code you are getting has to do with activation of windows 7. Are you getting anything saying "not genuine copy" ? Also have you modified or used a patch any files or settings in w7?

are you running 32 bit now? if you could, list your computer specs may help us help you

Reaction score
Windows Update Error C004F012

HI,
Even i have the same problem even i am getting the damn shit error on updating i have purchased a key and have entered it thus on validating it processes as genuine but here i cant update my windows but yes in the begining i used windows 7 loader to activate it
Yes i am running a 32bit windows
cant reinstall windows so pls help
thks

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi mohd_07651 & welcome to W7 Forums

In control Panel click System and at the bottom of that window do you see the words [ windows activation] and just below that what does it say ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Welcome M8
Every hour or so the computer’s background changes to solid black and nags that “this copy of Windows is not genuine”. You’ll also see a balloon in the notification area of the taskbar telling you to "Activate Windows Now." To deal with a Windows Activation Technology failure, click the Activate Windows Now balloon. Windows will give you a message recommending that you contact Microsoft Customer Service to activate your copy of Windows, call the telephone activation number provided and talk to the representative. You’ll need to provide the original product key for your copy of Windows 7.

Reaction score
But it doesnt shows that windows is not genuine so that i can again activate it

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I think you have two options here as i see it 1. perform a clean install or 2. contact Microsoft for activation (myself i would go for a clean install as something is not right with this installation).

Reaction score
Reinstallation takea lot of time and again installation of other driver!!!!!!!!
Pls bro suggest some other opinion than reinstalling
Thks

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Reinstallation is better than not having a properly licensed system. Make a copy of your driver on disc, then reinstall it and validate your copy of Windows. One way or the other, you'll have to validate in order to update your system. Yes, it takes a lot of time, I know all about that. But it's no excuse.

Reaction score
This is all fine but here is one for you. I am running W7 Ultimate with activation and all. I do not get any sign of this is not genuine, Just one day last month this error code popped up and haven't been able to do anything with updates since, I even downloaded the Geniine checker from Microsoft and had no problems with it. Any suggestion what might be causing it?

Reaction score
Hi robinnrick52 - Welcome to w7forums

Do you remember the error code that you received?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Have you tried System Restore, or can you go back that far? If everything's all on the up (legit), you've done the self check for Genuine and you're OK, you may have malware somewhere on your system. You can download Malwarebytes for free (be sure to update it after install) and run a complete scan. Try these things and see how you come out, and post back if it's still not fixed. And BTW, welcome to the forum, robinnrick52!

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the answers so far. I tried a sys restore to 1 month before anything started, Did not fix it. I haven't tried the Malwarebytes yet. Where would I get it? Again, Thanks,

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Just do a web search by typing "malwarebytes" w/o the quotes, make sure you select the free one. It's a powerful malware seeker.

Reaction score
Have you tried running "[FONT=&quot]sfc /scannow"[/FONT] from Commandline?

Press "Windows Key + R"
Type "[FONT=&quot]sfc /scannow[/FONT]"
Press "Enter" to see if any files are found to be corrupt

Ask a Question