Windows Taking Forever To Boot Up From Complete Shutdown

Reaction score
I have an old laptop circa 3/2009, it is an HP Pavilion with a dual core AMD Turion, 8GB ram 500 GB HDs, I really never had any problems with it, recently over the span of eight months due to the fact that I rarely use it, it takes forever(about a day) to start/boot up from a hard start (from being completely shut down)
It will do a restart just fine if it is running, but if I completely shut it down and turn it on with the power button, it will come on but will have no image on the screen and you can hear some sounds coming from the hard drive, it sounds like it is either searching for something or doing some kind of a deep scan.
I would love to get this computer up and running again because it is actually a sweet machine when it is running. could it be doing some kind of deep disk scan upon initial boot up? if so how can I shut that off from happening.
any other ideas will be appreciated, until then thanks a million....

Last edited:
Reaction score
One trick I recently learned online that worked for me, maybe for you too:

With Windows 7 running, insert its DVD. Choose Install Now, then choose Upgrade. They'll say it'll take several hours and it will. Then you'll have to do endless updates. Once all that's done, you'll have refreshed system. Oh, and it'll require you to activate it again, so you'll need those numbers handy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One trick I recently learned online that worked for me, maybe for you too:

With Windows 7 running, insert its DVD. Choose Install Now, then choose Upgrade. They'll say it'll take several hours and it will. Then you'll have to do endless updates. Once all that's done, you'll have refreshed system. Oh, and it'll require you to activate it again, so you'll need those numbers handy.
hmmmmm gonna try that.....
I am planning on just putting a new SSD HD in it and a whole new install, maybe that will freshen it up some.

Reaction score
Lemme know if it worked for you... I think it worked for me but I really have no idea what happened, other that it does seem a bit peppier. It did fix my Features panel, which was previously showing and empty list, and the reason I tried it in the first place.

Reaction score
Lemme know if it worked for you... I think it worked for me but I really have no idea what happened, other that it does seem a bit peppier. It did fix my Features panel, which was previously showing and empty list, and the reason I tried it in the first place.
well now it wont even boot up, it has been making that noise coming from the HD since friday afternoon.....Im beginning to think it is toast, just gonna wait to get the funds uip and get the SSDs I talked about and rebuild and refresh the computer

Reaction score
Oops, I didn't want that to happen or think it would. I figured if it works on my ten year old thrasher, it would work anywhere. I suppose it's time to use that DVD again and actually install it again?

Ask a Question