Windows Screensaver

Reaction score
Hello,

I am using Windows 7 Home edition.

I have found that the sleep function does not work. Even when I set to 1 minute. I have no idea what I am doing wrong?

I have found that the turn off monitor and sleep functions do not work.

When I set these from edit plan settings and save changes it does not do anything. I have tried restarting my computer to see if this would work but to no avail. I have no programs on the task bar which might be keeping the computer awake!

Thanks,

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
At an elevated command prompt type:

powercfg -a

See if it offers any more info. It's possible you need to update your video driver to one that will support sleep.

Also check your BIOS and look for ACPI, make sure it's enabled. For sleep/hibernation to work properly on older machines you should have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

In power options\advanced settings, I'm not sure if disabling hybrid sleep will help but you might try doing that if nothing else works.

Reaction score
On the command - powercfg -a I get the following reply (attachment).

What is hybrid sleep? How does this differ from sleep?

Thanks for your help.

Nevica

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
elevated cmd prompt means run it with administrator privileges (right-click, run as administrator) but you didn't need it.

The most common causes of sleep/hibernation issues are your BIOS and video drivers so make sure both are up-to-date.

The hybrid sleep deal is just a suggestion I had read about trying it with hybrid disabled; not sure what it is.

There is a powercfg-h on but that's to enable hibernation, don't know if that would help sleep at all.

Reaction score
Hi,

You can see in the attachment the reply I recieved from powercfg command.

Any idea what it all means please?

Nevica

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Turning off Hibernation may help, but I doubt it.
But, if you would like to try it, open a Command prompt as suggested and type
powercfg -h off and press Enter.
To turn it on again, (there is a small conbtext error in Trainables post) Type
type powercfg -h on and press Enter (Note the space after powercfg)
I can see from your post, that you have run through the power configuration but, as a matter of interest, when you open the panel and select "change plan settings", do you see, under the sleep options, those you have selected as your options?

With regards to your query, rather than repeat it, this site will officially explain Hybrid sleep.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe the -h parameter in powercfg is hibernation, not hybrid. See powercfg parameters in Technet. I do not see a hybrid option in powercfg but I know Hybrid can be set in the advanced settings of control panels \ power options.

The issue here is that the results you included say your motherboard currently does not allow sleep state S2, which is "put the CPU to sleep", but S3 is allowed which is "Sleep". See all the states listed here: ACPI. So something is prventing sleep or instantly bringing you right back out of sleep.

The most important things controlling sleep are your BIOS and your video drivers, so please make sure you are running the latest version of both.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe the -h parameter in powercfg is hibernation, not hybrid..
LOL. Thanks for pointing it out - my context error! (I,ve corrected it) I had "hybrid" on my mind whilst typing, after reading the thread!

Fwiw. You will only see the hybrid function if you have the "Power saver" plan selected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is a powercfg -energy report of the problems I have been having. See what you think?

Nevica

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It says that all your sleep states are disabled.

First and foremost you should check the MSI website and be sure you are running the latest BIOS for your MOBO.

Once you are sure you are then you should go into the BIOS settings and check the ACPI settings. From the zip it looks like S1 & S3 are currently enabled but it wouldn't hurt to check especially if you install a BIOS update.

Then in Control Panel\Power Options make sure you have Balanced or Power Saver. Choose Settings for the one you use. From there go into Change Advanced power settings.
- Set the things under sleep. You can even try allow hybrid sleep but if things start acting strange when waking then that is the first thing I would turn off.
- There is also a Hard disk entry there to enable the hard disk to sleep, not sure why you would ever want this but it's there.
- There is also a USB settings and I notice none of your USB things can sleep, they may need the USB selective suspend setting enabled.
- There is a Display setting (if you didn't set it under settings then you have another chance to change when the monitor times out here)
- One that could be important is Multimedia settings ... when sharing media. You may want to try "Allow the computer to sleep"

Then under control panel\device manager you may want to check out individual devices like your mouse/keyboard/network adapter/etc and set the power options there to allow keyboard mouse to wake from sleep. Maybe allow a network wake packet to wake your computer (or not). etc.

I'm afraid that's about all I know on this. I am just not an expert on this stuff because on my machine I disable sleeping all together and only hibernation is allowed just so my UPS can shut down my machine during a power failure.

Reaction score
What should I set S1 and S3 to in ACPI settings please?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
They should be enabled. If S3 is not on then your machine won't sleep.

Reaction score
Hello,

I note that a new BIOS has been released for my board. How do I install this?

Do I just download from MSI website and install. Are there any steps to take to installing a new BIOS version please?

Nevica

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Doing a BIOS firmware update is a little more tricky than just downloading and installing.

Your motherboard has a "Live Update" feature for updating the BIOS. Have you considered using that function?

Have you consulted your motherboard user manual? I HIGHLY recommend doing that prior to doing any BIOS updates.

There have been several BIOS firmware updates released for your motherboard this year, all total there are four. Latest is version 1.E Date: 7-13-2011

It's best to have a UPS connected to your computer during the BIOS firmware update too. (Uninterruptable Power Supply)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There have been several BIOS firmware updates released for your motherboard this year, all total there are four. Latest is version 1.E Date: 7-13-2011
So be sure you get the latest one

It's best to have a UPS connected to your computer during the BIOS firmware update too. (Uninterruptable Power Supply)
Updates are usually quite quick, under a minute, but if the power goes out before they finish it can "brick" your motherboard making it unusable. That is why a UPS is recommended but if you do not have one then be sure to update when the power is likely to be stable (avoid thunderstorms or rolling blackout days)

Ask a Question