SOLVED Windows not working since installing Ubuntu

JMS

Reaction score
My son installed Ubuntu in a partition on his hard drive, but was having difficulty dual booting with Windows 7. To try to resolve this he installed MBR through Ubuntu into the partition Windows was using. Now he can't access Windows at all. He just gets a thing that looks like a prompt MBR1234FA_ but he can't type anything. Ubunu is working (on the second partition), but won't recognize that whole first partition (the one windows is on), and just labels it as "unknown", so he can't access any of his windows files. He tried the Windows repair on the install disk, but that tells him it can't repair it automatically. It can't find an operating system. Any ideas, anyone?

JMS

Reaction score
c: drive and windows files not accessable at all

I appreciate your response, but the issue is that he hasn't got his files backed up (didn't have anywhere to back up that many Gigs since his external drive broke down), so to use any of that he'd have to start again from scratch.

At the moment we're still trying to access his personal files, but his c: drive is not showing up, nor is the Windows OS.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Patrick Boyle said:
Boot from the Windows 7 install disc [not the repair disc]. When it begins the install process it will recognize that there is a Windows partition and give you the option to run a repair. This will fix the MBR and Windows boot menu.

I'm not sure whether your Ubuntu partition will still be an option at boot, but if not you can boot to windows add it from there.
Source

Otherwise, I have never heard of it before but this freeware might also be able to help ... TestDisk.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I'd check to see if his Windows partition has a boot flag on it. As in it's set active. You can probably boot your Ubuntu CD and use gparted to set it. I do most of my partition-related stuff with Paragon, but I'm sure any free tool that can adjust boot flags will be fine.

Obviously, recovering his data first would be ideal, which I think is what you're aiming for...

Here's a program that looks promising: http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1
Mind you I have no affiliation with the program, have never used it, and don't know if you need a working Windows platform to even run it. It's just one suggestion.

I don't know if Clonezilla comes with any data recovery tools.

Reactions: JMS

JMS

Reaction score
He had tried Testdisk already, and it didn't find the windows partition at first. It found it with a deeper scan, but didn't seem to offer any options other than deleting or repartitioning.

The windows partition does indeed have a boot flag. The program pcinspector does look good, but it is a windows program, and his windows is non-operational. We may try cloning/ copying his hard disk to an external drive (have to get one first since the only one I have is too small), and see whether I can access it from another computer.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tried putting in the windows install disk and booting from that?

Every time I clone a harddrive it will not boot and I simply put in the install disk (not a repair disk). When it boots up you choose English or whatever as if you are doing an install but on the very next screen it will tell you it found a windows partition and asks if you want to repair. I say repair and tada, it fixes the HD so it's bootable.

Last edited:

JMS

Reaction score
The Windows 7 Disk he has is an upgrade disk, since the computer came with Vista pre-loaded and no disk (we can order one from HP at cost). We did try the Windows 7 disk. It boots up and gives two options: install or repair. We tried repair, but it won't work. It can't find the OS. We didn't try the other option.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It sounds as though your son is caught between a rock and a hard place, and things may boil down to reinstalling Windows. That may not be the option that he wants to hear, but it may be his only one.

On the backup drive, is it in a custom case (with it's electronics)? If so, and it's only the case switch that went bad, the drive can be removed, and placed in another drive case. If the plug or whatever doesn't work, the same. Many backup drives don't fail, the casing, and other devices that powers it does. So it may be worth a shot at removing the drive, unless it already has been, and in that case, he needs to move on.

I only wanted to mention that possibility, any ideas are better than none.

Best of Luck,
Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The Windows 7 Disk he has is an upgrade disk, since the computer came with Vista pre-loaded and no disk (we can order one from HP at cost). We did try the Windows 7 disk. It boots up and gives two options: install or repair. We tried repair, but it won't work. It can't find the OS. We didn't try the other option.
The files on an upgrade disk and on a full version are the same, just the key that comes with them are different. Mine also is an upgrade disk. And yes it was the repair option I had hoped would solve the solution as it does for me (rereading the posts now I do see you mentioned you tried that, I missed it before). Install might fix the problem without destroying the data, as long as you don't tell it to format and it doesn't think the partition is unformatted and feel it has to format, but I wouldn't try it w/o first cloning the drive.

Cat is right, if his back-up drive that isn't working is inside a case, it could be the case that went bad. It is likely either SATA or IDE, you would need to get a docking station or an enclosure that supports the right one (there are some docking stations with 2 slots to handle either) and you may then be able to clone the drive over to that one or maybe his drive already contains the data he needs back. This doesn't fix your problem of course but it may give you a place to either find his data or a place to clone the drive so that if he tries the Install option he won't worry if it does end up being destructive.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If that drive still works, it also could be backed up, using a freeware backup such as Macrium (in the Free Software Database), make a boot disc, and reinstall the backup onto drive that Windows was lost on. It may or may not be older, but programs can be reinstalled, and everything updated.

Either a docking station or a new case are inexpensive, as long as the drive still works. Hopefully, it still is.

Cat

JMS

Reaction score
Good suggestions. I don't remember what happened with his old external hard drive, but we may have thrown it away already, since it seemed really broken. I didn't think about trying to take it apart. If he still has it, we can try. I've put a drive in an enclosure before (and I have an old 60 Gig hard drive in an enclosure), so I'm familiar with that. It won't have any of his recent files, but might have some of the older ones.

The drive he's having difficulty with just now (and has disabled windows on) is in a notebook computer though. I've ordered another external drive to try to back it up onto. It's due to arrive tomorrow (we needed one of those anyway). I'm still hoping we can manage to back up his notebook's hard drive so he can try some of the other options that we've been reluctant to do with all his files on it and no backup (hopefully he's learned something from this!).

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm probably talking out my "rs" here (no change!!) but couldn't you try hooking up his HDD as a second drive to a running (windows) PC to see if you can grab all the personal stuff off of it? I did it with XP a couple of years back. Amazing how quick you can learn to back up stuff though, once you nearly lose it all!!

JMS

Reaction score
I will let you know how it goes. New external drive arrived today and he's partitioning it (that's taking a long time). Will try backing it up tomorrow, then see whether we can access it.

If that doesn't work, I suppose it would be possible to pull out the notebook's hard drive and put it in an enclosure to access from another computer. I'd have to buy an enclosure, though. I don't have a little one.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I paid about 50p for a power cable adaptor and 30p for a 2nd hand IDE Cable. It sure didn't look pretty, but it did the job!

JMS

Reaction score
I'm calling this solved. Actually, my son accidentally removed the partition on his computer's hard drive and wiped out his windows files (a couple of days ago while I was at work), but I think several of the suggestions people gave would work.

Ask a Question