Windows memory Diagnostics Tools cannot finish

Reaction score
Hello,

I have "blue screen" problems (the screen goes black/blue all of a sudden and cannot do anything other than turn off and on, the "on" button is lit but the "disc" button is off and nothing happens with keyboard and mouse) once in a while with Windows Vista.
This was getting more frequent, so I got some advice and updated to Windows 7 and increased RAM as well.
The problem still exits and I do not why.
I searched blue screen problems and found "Diagnose your computer memory problems" and tried that with mine. It stopped half way every time I tried (I tried three or four times).
It just turn off automatically all of a sudden (the "on" button goes off!). The screes was "completed 60%" etc before shutting down so I don't think it finished the test either. However, since it cannot finish the diagnosis, I do not know what is the problem or there is any problem with my memory.

Does this mean the memory have a problem? anything to do with the blue screen problem?
Any suggestions would be very appreciated, thank you so much!

Yumi

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You say you upgraded your memory - from what to what? And did you actually replace any memory chips or just add more? What software are you using to test the memory?

Reaction score
My original mammary was 1048MB or something, so I added 1GB NTBK memory.
I bought a memory chip (I don't have the package with me right now) and they installed it for me, I think they replaced it because they returned the one which was inside. I used "windows 7 upgrade advisor" or something to check. Before upgrading to Windows 7, I was also told that the PC was infected with mall software, which I thought will be fixed if I replace OS.
Thank you!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I was also told that the PC was infected with mall software, which I thought will be fixed if I replace OS.
Did you upgrade the OS or do a format of the HD and a new install? An upgrade from Vista just overwrites the OS and wouldn't necessarily kill any virus. Also, Did you bring over any data from the original or use any DVDs/ flash drives you ever had in the old infected computer? Almost any writable piece of digital media (store bought DVDs/CDs such as games or software are non-writable and should be safe unless they came from the manufacturer infected) that you had in the old computer could bring the infection over.

Do you have good anti-virus installed? If not, give Microsoft Security Essentials a try and also install Malwarebytes free version to run periodically as a secondary option. Run complete scans on your current machine. And use the AV to scan every flash drive you have and every DVD/CD that you burned while infected.

Links to MSE & Malwarebytes can be found HERE.

Reaction score
I upgraded from Vista, so I backed up everything but there was no need to restore any files.
Actually, like you mentioned, I used the same external HD which I used with my vista. If it was infected, then I must have carried that over because I used the same one after upgrading to Windows 7..

I have webroot antivirus in my PC. Hope this is the good one.
I run it after upgrading but did not detect anything. I will run it again right now.

Thank you!

Yumi

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would encourage you to download the freeware version of Malwarebytes Anti-virus as a secondary protection; it's a good idea to run it once a week. The freeware version is not an active scanner so it should be able to coexist without issue with webroot.

You might also download RKill and try running a few of the it's various names right now just to see if it finds any viruses currently installed.

Links to both can be found on out Freeware Database. Malwarebytes is near the top of the list under Anti-Malware and RKill near the bottom under Virus Removal.

Reaction score
OK, I found the anti-virus ware from the link.
Thank you so much!

Yumi

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So did RKill find an infection? How about Malwarebytes?

Ask a Question