SOLVED Windows Live Hotmail vs Windows Live Mail

Reaction score
Windows Live Hotmail

Windows Live Mail 2011

I have heard a few responses that were referring Windows Live Hotmail as being Windows Live Mail. Looking at the two links above they appear to be different.

Is Windows Live Hotmail an email account and Windows Live Mail the email client?

What exactly are the differences?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From what I gathered from researching a little for another thread. The Windows Live Mail 2011 is basically a way to consolidate all your mail accounts. It can access your hotmail account(s), Gmail, and Yahoo and maintains all the information on your computer so you can access even when you are offline (basically like Microsoft Outlook works for POP3 accounts but this handles online mail accounts).

Some issues I'm not clear on and not really interested enough to find out:
Will it also work with POP3 accounts such as your ISP's mail?
The main point of having online mail is so that you can access it from any computer at any time but if this product downloads your messages does it then delete them from online so that they are no longer accessible from another computer with internet access or does it leave the stuff there and you have all this redundant information all over?

Reaction score
Will it also work with POP3 accounts such as your ISP's mail?
Using POP3 is the only way I know to configure Windows Live Mail. The ISP account is the reason I am using Windows Live Mail. I want my Email on my hard drive. Otherwise I would be happy using a yahoo account or similar.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I use Windows Live Hotmail (there's a link on the MSN home page) to check my email through the web browser. Until recently, that's the way that I've been checking my Hotmail account.

Recently, I began using Windows Live Mail (from the Start Menu) to check my emails, but don't do so all of the time.

Windows Live Hotmail is the actual email account itself, I've had it for over a year. Windows Live Mail is a program that you must install through MS Update.

The main difference is getting your email through your browser, or through the installed program.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Using POP3 is the only way I know to configure Windows Live Mail. The ISP account is the reason I am using Windows Live Mail. I want my Email on my hard drive. Otherwise I would be happy using a yahoo account or similar.
You can use Yahoo if you wish, but beware, their spam filters are the worst of the five email accounts that I've had. You get tons of spam, and more than an acceptable amount goes into your "good" box.

That's why early this month, after six years, I dropped Yahoo altogether. I still have four (Hotmail, OperaMail, AOL Mail & RR Email), and I hardly ever get spammed anymore.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Clifford, it will definitely allow you to access web-based mail so if you say it will also do POP3 accounts then basically it is designed as a local application to consolidate all your different mail accounts information onto your harddrive.

I personally maintain 4 hotmail accounts as well as a POP3 account from my ISP but I have no desire to consolidate them or to install WLMail 2011.

I use an application called Pop peeper which accesses all my accounts every 15 minutes so I can browse all my mail (and delete) but I still log in to each account individually if I want to sort messages to folders within their respective accounts.

No merging, no confusion. Wouldn't want my personalities to collide - it would be chaos :p

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Maybe not?
I do believe this thread has complicated the issue.
Windows Live Mail is a part of Windows Live essentials. I am not clear as to Cat's reference to it only being available through MS Updates?
Windows Live Hotmail is an Internet based Mail client, nothing more.
Windows Live Mail is a standalone Email Program which resides on your harddisk, and collects your email and places it on your harddisk, in your chosen default mailbox.
It is intended as a replacement for Outlook Express and the redundant Windows Mail. There is nothing "kinky" or unusual about it and it operates like any other Hard disk based mail program.
Certainly you can set up pop3 accounts, and also, any internet accounts you may have, including Microsoft Hotmail. It will collect all simaltaneously and, by use of the "Message rules" you can arrange for these to be transferred to folders you have prepared.
It can, like mosrt Email clients, be programmed to check your mail periodically, with a popup in the notificcation area, and/or a sound.
Fwiw.- I have 2 standard Pop3 accounts and three Hotmail accounts, linked with my "Live" signin, in my installation. Windows Live Mail deals with all.

I think Microsofts site is a reasonable tutorial for the moment.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?os=other

Reaction score
Maybe not?
I do believe this thread has complicated the issue.
Windows Live Mail is a part of Windows Live essentials. I am not clear as to Cat's reference to it only being available through MS Updates?
Windows Live Hotmail is an Internet based Mail client, nothing more.
Windows Live Mail is a standalone Email Program which resides on your harddisk, and collects your email and places it on your harddisk, in your chosen default mailbox.
It is intended as a replacement for Outlook Express and the redundant Windows Mail. There is nothing "kinky" or unusual about it and it operates like any other Hard disk based mail program.
Certainly you can set up pop3 accounts, and also, any internet accounts you may have, including Microsoft Hotmail. It will collect all simaltaneously and, by use of the "Message rules" you can arrange for these to be transferred to folders you have prepared.
It can, like mosrt Email clients, be programmed to check your mail periodically, with a popup in the notificcation area, and/or a sound.
Fwiw.- I have 2 standard Pop3 accounts and three Hotmail accounts, linked with my "Live" signin, in my installation. Windows Live Mail deals with all.

I think Microsofts site is a reasonable tutorial for the moment.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?os=other

Agreed, I swapped over to windows Live Mail awhile ago to fix an outlook express problem. I load and use live mail in the same way as I would use any email program. It downloads mail from my ip server. I do not log in/sign in though that feature is there and I do not access/download from multiple email servers. Once my mail is downloaded if I loose the system/Hdd then I'll have lost that mail.

I also have a Hotmail acct. which I access from a browser window, if I'm logged into MSN Messenger and there is mail in my hotmail acct. then messenger will tell me but I have to sign in to Hotmail to get it. All that mail remains wherever it is and is only lost if I actually delete it, I can also access it from any pc with internet access.

Reaction score
I have my Hotmail account for a long time. I used to be able to reply to Craigslist e-mail and have my Hotmail ALAWAYS open automatically, but some times the Live e-mail accounts open up. The issue is that the Hotmail account can handle larger attachment file size.
How can I set up so that every e-mail reply is from my Hotmail account?

Last edited:

Ask a Question