Windows has detected a Hard disk error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
When I start up my computer I get a message that says Windows has detected a Hard disk error you need to back up your computer.

I click off the box and everything works fine till I restart the Laptop and It says the same thing again.

How do I fix the problem?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums bernardo :).

Is that the exact working of the error message, without any error codes etc?

It could be that Windows has detected a problem with one of your drives (via SMART error codes). This means that your drive could fail soon and you are being prompted to back up your data.

Have you backed up the data yet? Also, how old is the laptop?

If you know the model of hard drive you have (perhaps via "device manager"), I can provide a link to some drive diagnostic software.

Reaction score
Its a rebuilt laptop Not two old I don't think I installed win 7n Over Vista.
Device Manager say's The drive is a WDC3200BEVT-22ZETO ATA Device

Windows has detected a problem with you hard drive

Reaction score
Here's the exact wording Windows detected a hard disk problem
Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss and then contact
Computer Manufactor to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk

Start Back up process

Ask again Later

It has been doing this for about a month or more now.
I have not backed up the information on the disk yet.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
benardo16, welcome to the forum! You stated that that computer is refurbished, did you purchase an extended warranty with it? I hope that you have some form of warranty. You do need to backup ASAP. Macurim Reflect is a good free backup program to use.

It sounds like your drive is going bad, or has bad sectors on it. You can run the command "chkdsk /r", w/o the quotes, this may help you get your file system in order. Upon startup, has your computer went straight into "chkdsk" yet? Usually it will happen sometimes when a drive is starting to fail. I'm in the same boat with my notebook (mine is a refurb, too).

Before I spend the money on another refurbished computer again, I'll start going back to the library and use the computers there. Refurbs have always been trouble for me.

Should you require further assistance, always feel free to post back. I do hope that you get your drive issue resolved soon, for me, going without a computer is like not having socks on.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's not an old hard drive so far as product cycle is concerned, but it's definitely going "south" on you for sure.

I would recommend downloading a copy of HD Tune Pro, which is a hard drive analyzer program. You can use it free for 15 days with full features enabled.

Get it here: http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

HD Tune is a hard disk utility with many functions. It can be used to measure the drive's performance, scan for errors, check the health status (S.M.A.R.T.), securely erase all data and much more.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Download and run Seatools.
Doesn't SeaTools only work on Seagate drives? Maybe I'm wrong.

His is a Western Digital Blue Scorpio notebook drive.

He can go here to download any WDC specific diagnostic tool: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=702〈=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, looks like we have another happy, satisfied customer; since we've not heard back from him we can "assume" everything is alright with his situation now.

Reaction score
Doesn't SeaTools only work on Seagate drives? Maybe I'm wrong.

His is a Western Digital Blue Scorpio notebook drive.

He can go here to download any WDC specific diagnostic tool: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=702〈=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, looks like we have another happy, satisfied customer; since we've not heard back from him we can "assume" everything is alright with his situation now.
I have been told by a very knowledgeable person that Setools will work on almost all hard drives.

See also the extract below.

Sea Tools is a free tool released by Seagate, that can scan and diagnose the hard disk drives of any brand. This tool can prove very useful as it offers lot of tests that are available in professional hard disk scanning software. Most of the available tests are data safe tests i.e. when you carry out this test the data present in hard disk drive does not get affected except for few which you should use with caution as they are not data safe tests.
Sea Tools supports the following types of hard disk drive interfaces: USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE), SATA and SCSI.

This is taken from HERE.
http://www.shivaranjan.com/2008/10/30/scan-and-diagnose-hard-disk-drives-hdd-with-sea-tools/

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks andsome for the info, appreciate it.

Although I think that HD Tune Pro is a much better program for diagnosing hard drives, but that's my humble opinion.

Reaction score
how to fix this problem

your bios driver is not compatible with your computer hardware try to find the correct bios driver for your motherboard.
a had the same problem but i downloaded the correct driver for my motherboard.
hope this will helpful

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Brayon, please check the dates before posting; this thread is almost 3 years old.

It is also highly unlikely the problem is the BIOS and the user not know it. BIOS updates only happen when you perform them on purpose; I think the OP would have noticed if their hard drive stopped working after a BIOS update and mentioned that fact. More likely it truly was a hardware failure but after 3 years and them not replying I think it is safe to assume they solved it or gave up and moved on.

This thread is now CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question